More Adena monoliths

The Western Hemisphere. General term for the Americas following their discovery by Europeans, thus setting them in contradistinction to the Old World of Africa, Europe, and Asia.

Moderators: Minimalist, MichelleH

More Adena monoliths

Postby E.P. Grondine » Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:27 pm

Hi -

Some of you may rememeber that I and my colleague Fletcher Wilson have been working through "Adena" monoliths:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBFlFRLnzk8

It look like Schoolcraft was interested in them as well:

Now I have to figure out where these were located.
Usually people believe what they want to believe until reality intrudes.
E.P. Grondine

Re: More Adena monoliths

Postby E.P. Grondine » Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:41 am

Oh well -

turns out they appear to be from elsewhere - but Schoolcraft is not clear -

That the simple style of rock inscription, among the Mongolian and Tartar races
of the eastern hemisphere, bears a marked resemblance to that of the red race of the
western, is denoted in the following examples. (See figure 6, Plate 66, and figures 1,
2, 3, 4, Plate 67.)

In figure 6, Plate 66, the drawing of a frocked man, with a heart
lying at his feet, is suggestive of the office of a priesthood, among a barbarous people.
The stems of shrubs, sprouting from one lobe of the heart, may symbolize a fragrant
memory. The figures of high crosses raised upon a sort of rampart, appear to indicate
towns, forts, or localities. The circle divided into eight parts, appears to be horologic.

In figure 1, Plate 67, the deer stands as a simple symbol; in figure 2, of the same
plate, the dart has the same value. In figure 3 of this plate, the reader is strongly
reminded of a curious stone map, found on the sources of the Susquehanna, of which
a transcript was published by the Historical Committee of the Pennsylvania Philosophical Society.
In figure 4, as in some characters in figure 2, there is a strong tendency to the ancient rock-alphabet.
Usually people believe what they want to believe until reality intrudes.
E.P. Grondine

Return to New World