Cahokia's demise?

The Western Hemisphere. General term for the Americas following their discovery by Europeans, thus setting them in contradistinction to the Old World of Africa, Europe, and Asia.

Moderators: Minimalist, MichelleH

Cahokia's demise?

Postby Frank Harrist » Tue May 05, 2015 8:35 pm

http://www.nature.com/news/floods-might ... ign=buffer

Cahokia settlement's decline began in 1200, around time of major Mississippi River surge.
Frank Harrist

Re: Cahokia's demise?

Postby Minimalist » Tue May 05, 2015 9:08 pm

Climate seems to be a culprit in the collapse of many civilizations.

We may soon learn that for ourselves.
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
Minimalist

Postby E.P. Grondine » Thu May 07, 2015 7:42 am

Speaking about climate, are we?

Okay, Oneota migrations had been going on for some time before this flood, and then out west you had Athabascan migrations.

Its funny how they ignored the Illinois River Mississippian sequence entirely in this piece, but then I seem to have inherited a very strange sense of humor.

Of course, one of the funniest things was the western states dividing up the waters of the Colorado River when it was flowing at a maximum. They split up non-existent water, and now I am sure that lawyers are fine-toothing every word of the exact language of those "agreements".
E.P. Grondine

Postby uniface » Thu May 07, 2015 12:57 pm

I think it would be both interesting and valuable if you would write An Outline History of North America Before 1491.

Really. Take all that stuff and put it into one highschool-level American History-type book.

I'd buy it.
uniface

Postby Minimalist » Thu May 07, 2015 9:06 pm

Don't forget to include a bibliography.
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
Minimalist

Postby E.P. Grondine » Fri May 08, 2015 6:44 am

Hi uni, min -

What part of "had a stroke" do both of you not understand?

The only way I can see to satisfy your requests is to set up a 501-3c foundation to hire help.

Aside from that, why do you think your interests have higher priority than those of the descendants of those peoples?
E.P. Grondine

Postby uniface » Fri May 08, 2015 8:41 am

What part of "As Told To . . . " am I not comprehending ?
uniface

Postby E.P. Grondine » Fri May 08, 2015 5:58 pm

uniface wrote:What part of "As Told To . . . " am I not comprehending ?

Well, since I rigorously footnote my sources, the part you are not understanding is probably
"As excavated by".

uni, I apologize for my V. summary not being here in Ohio, and that you had to read so much on "catastrophism". My notes on apparat for working with oral cultures are not here in Ohio either. Unfortunately, while Leroy will be happy to discuss V. with you all day, none of the anthropologists I have met would give you a minute, and the same thing goes for the different nations' (tribes') historians.

In my book "Man and Impact in the Americas, I had intended to drop my footnotes in-line at the bottom of the page; it would have been a much better book, as they are quite humorous; it also would have been much easier to read. But my stroke intervened, and my book is what it is, hundreds of pages of too small type with not enough pictures ("illustrations").

As it sets, you actually have to read the footnote numbers and go to the end of each
chapter to read them.
E.P. Grondine

Return to New World