This End Up

The Western Hemisphere. General term for the Americas following their discovery by Europeans, thus setting them in contradistinction to the Old World of Africa, Europe, and Asia.

Moderators: Minimalist, MichelleH

Re: This End Up

Postby shawomet » Thu May 21, 2015 5:32 pm

We can all learn something from this thoughtful study:

http://nautil.us/issue/24/error/the-tro ... scientists

Motivated Reasoning and cognitive bias. Stumbling blocks that trip up so-called objective scientists, time and time again.....

"Not only can poor data and wrong ideas survive, but good ideas can be suppressed through motivated reasoning and career pressures. The suggestions by geneticist Barbara McClintock in the 1940s and ’50s that some DNA sequences can “jump” around chromosomes, and by biochemist Stanley Prusiner in the 1980s that proteins called prions can fold up into entirely the wrong shape and that the misfolding can be transmitted from one protein to another, went so much against prevailing orthodoxy that both researchers were derided mercilessly—until they were proved right and won Nobel prizes. Skepticism about bold claims is always warranted, but looking back we can see that sometimes it comes more from an inability to escape the biases of the prevailing picture than from genuine doubts about the quality of the evidence. The examples of McClintock and Prusiner illustrate that science does self-correct when the weight of the evidence demands it, says Nosek, but “we don’t know about the examples in which a similar insight was made but was dismissed outright and never pursued.”

Scientists have some awareness of this, to be sure. Many sympathize with philosopher Thomas Kuhn’s theory that science undergoes abrupt paradigm shifts in which the prevailing wisdom in the entire field is undermined and a wholly new picture emerges. Between such shifts, we see only “normal science” that fits the general consensus—until a build-up of anomalies creates enough pressure to burst through the walls into a new paradigm. The classic example was the emergence of quantum physics at the start of the 20th century; the 18th-century notion of phlogiston in chemistry—a supposed “principle of combustion,” overturned by Lavoisier’s oxygen theory—also fits the model. A famous quotation attributed to Max Planck suggests another means by which such preconceptions in science are surmounted: “Science advances one funeral at a time.” New ideas break through only when the old guard dies"
---------------------------------------------
I stand by the analogy I cited, E.P.
shawomet

Postby E.P. Grondine » Tue May 26, 2015 6:36 am

Hi Shawomet -

I'll have to reject your skillful argument that its necessary to kill other scientists and researchers.
:lol:

It kind of reminds me of Hume advising the Irish to eat their children.
E.P. Grondine

Postby Frank Harrist » Tue May 26, 2015 1:16 pm

"Skepticism about bold claims is always warranted, but looking back we can see that sometimes it comes more from an inability to escape the biases of the prevailing picture than from genuine doubts about the quality of the evidence."

I like this line. It is very true as some of you repeatedly prove. Closed minds are not conducive to good science. Quote me on that!
Frank Harrist

Postby Kalopin » Tue Jun 02, 2015 7:33 am

Frank Harrist wrote:"Skepticism about bold claims is always warranted, but looking back we can see that sometimes it comes more from an inability to escape the biases of the prevailing picture than from genuine doubts about the quality of the evidence."

I like this line. It is very true as some of you repeatedly prove. Closed minds are not conducive to good science. Quote me on that!

Frank, you are a good man. Thanks for your service and all your help, as otherwise I would have probably been kicked out of here as well...
"...live long and prosper!..." :-]
Kalopin

Postby Kalopin » Tue Jun 02, 2015 7:47 am

Dear Michelle,
What happened to "Giants", "Wonderful" and "The OTHER Land Bridge"?
[, as I have put forth some interesting notes that I feel should find study...]
I understand there was some off-tone rhetoric, but could they have been edited?
Kalopin

Postby MichelleH » Tue Jun 02, 2015 9:05 am

Frank is no longer a member of the board. I have left his posts intact. It appears, based on the logs, that he removed some items before leaving. Please feel free to restart any topic. My apologies for any lost notes or research.
We've Got Fossils - We win ~ Lewis Black

Red meat, cheese, tobacco, and liquor...it works for me ~ Anthony Bourdain

Atheism is a non-prophet organization.
MichelleH

Postby uniface » Tue Jun 02, 2015 9:14 am

The loss of the information in those threads is a tragedy.

Putting that VERY mildly.

He had the moral right to delete his OWN stuff.

DAMN ! Just DAMN !
uniface

Previous

Return to New World