Lights Out at Cahokia

The Western Hemisphere. General term for the Americas following their discovery by Europeans, thus setting them in contradistinction to the Old World of Africa, Europe, and Asia.

Moderators: Minimalist, MichelleH

Re: Lights Out at Cahokia

Postby Minimalist » Sun Sep 29, 2013 10:45 am

I simply do not have the same confidence in this "First Peoples" crap that you do. Written histories are edited to serve the needs of later editors. You will not convince me that oral tales are any more reliable.

Truthfully, the whole concept of "First Peoples" seems to be a modern political usage designed to advance native-american claims.
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
Minimalist

Postby E.P. Grondine » Mon Sep 30, 2013 4:08 pm

Minimalist wrote: Written histories are edited to serve the needs of later editors.

The same thing happens to oral histories, once the keepers have been destroyed.
And that is why impacts are so helpful. Something that no people would simply make up.
And something that does leave behind a physical trail.

As far as written records goes, the same thing holds.

Minimalist wrote:I simply do not have the same confidence in this "First Peoples" crap that you do.

Truthfully, the whole concept of "First Peoples" seems to be a modern political usage designed to advance native-american claims.

As far as "First Peoples" goes, that is what they were, and still are.
If you can not handle the facts, that is not my problem, it is your problem.
Usually people believe what they want to believe until reality intrudes.
E.P. Grondine

Postby Minimalist » Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:24 am

More mythology, E.P?

At least you are consistent.
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
Minimalist

Postby E.P. Grondine » Mon Oct 07, 2013 4:54 pm

I tend to ignore theories and stick with facts, min.

One fact is that you have a problem with Judaeo-Christian religions,
and it biases your theoretical apparat,
as you project processes that have little bearing on the materials at hand in this case.

It sure would be nice to have another couple of caches of contemporary Bronze Age texts found at some major urban sites in the ANE region.
Usually people believe what they want to believe until reality intrudes.
E.P. Grondine

Previous

Return to New World