Early Remains Found in Arctic

The Western Hemisphere. General term for the Americas following their discovery by Europeans, thus setting them in contradistinction to the Old World of Africa, Europe, and Asia.

Moderators: Minimalist, Frank Harrist, MichelleH

Early Remains Found in Arctic

Postby Minimalist » Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:42 pm

http://apnews.excite.com/article/20110224/D9LJBSF00.html

WASHINGTON (AP) - Some 11,500 years ago one of America's earliest families laid the remains of a 3-year-old child to rest in their home in what is now Alaska. The discovery of that burial is shedding new light on the life and times of the early settlers who crossed from Asia to the New World, researchers report in Friday's edition of the journal Science.

The bones represent the earliest human remains discovered in the Arctic of North America, a "pretty significant find," said Ben A. Potter of the University of Alaska Fairbanks.

While ancient Alaskan residents were known to hunt large game, the newly discovered site shows they also foraged for fish, birds and small mammals, he explained. "Here we know there were young children and females. So, this is a whole piece of the settlement system that we had virtually no record of."
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
Minimalist

Re: Early Remains Found in Arctic

Postby Digit » Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:04 pm

While ancient Alaskan residents were known to hunt large game, the newly discovered site shows they also foraged for fish, birds and small mammals,

As we had promulgated on here several times, as opposed to the 'official' line that they lived on Mammoths!
Pity there isn't a prize for stating the obvious!

Roy.
Last edited by Digit on Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
First people deny a thing, then they belittle it, then they say it was known all along! Von Humboldt
Digit

Postby Minimalist » Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:28 pm

Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
Minimalist

Postby Digit » Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:56 pm

Thank you Min! :lol:

Roy.
First people deny a thing, then they belittle it, then they say it was known all along! Von Humboldt
Digit

Postby Minimalist » Thu Feb 24, 2011 5:36 pm

Between my sick sense of humor and Google images there seems to be a picture for damn near everything.

-- George Carlin
Minimalist

Postby Digit » Thu Feb 24, 2011 5:52 pm

If you have a sick sense of humour then I must also have one! Blast! Another character flaw.

Roy.
Digit

Postby dannan14 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:24 pm

Digit wrote:If you have a sick sense of humour then I must also have one! Blast! Another character flaw.

Roy.

That's a flaw?
dannan14

Postby Digit » Fri Feb 25, 2011 3:54 am

Well it's nice to know that I'm not the only one in step at least! :D

Roy.
Digit

Postby Minimalist » Fri Feb 25, 2011 9:20 am

dannan14 wrote:
Digit wrote:If you have a sick sense of humour then I must also have one! Blast! Another character flaw.

Roy.

That's a flaw?

Nah...it's a coping mechanism.

-- George Carlin
Minimalist

Return to New World