A Poll.....not a political one

Here's where you get off topic and off center....Keep it nice, keep it clean, no sniping, no flaming. After that, anything goes.

Moderators: Minimalist, MichelleH

A Poll.....not a political one

Postby MichelleH » Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:57 am

For a very long time I have linked stories on the news page from Live Science. Recently they have started to put up surveys, ranging from age, books, politics, etc. that must be answered before reading a story.

I have had numerous complaints and have contacted the source, but want to know if the forum members have found the same problem and if it annoys you as much as it annoys me!
(Pop up blockers do not stop the problem). I am also considering obtaining different sources from the writers to get their stories.

Thoughts or complaints? (Or am I making this a bigger issue than it really is)

Thanks,
Michelle
We've Got Fossils - We win ~ Lewis Black

Red meat, cheese, tobacco, and liquor...it works for me ~ Anthony Bourdain

Atheism is a non-prophet organization.
MichelleH

Re: A Poll.....not a political one

Postby circumspice » Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:43 pm

Thanks for asking Michelle. I didn't want to complain. But let me tell you that I hate it! The 'surveys' are intrusive in my opinion.
Also, I don't feel that I should be made to jump through hoops, just to read an article that is usually a brief synapsis anyway.

No, you are not making this issue larger than it really is. We are losing more of our privacy every day. These 'surveys' are
simply another step in that direction. I feel like we are being gradually desensitized to such invasions of privacy.
"Damn with faint praise, assent with civil leer, and, without sneering, teach the rest to sneer." ~ Alexander Pope
circumspice

Postby MichelleH » Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:10 pm

Thanks Circumspice, glad to hear that I'm not the only this bothers and I totally agree with you. So far, the writers, have been more than willing to provide an alternate to Live Science for accessing their articles. Let's hope this is a trend that continues!
We've Got Fossils - We win ~ Lewis Black

Red meat, cheese, tobacco, and liquor...it works for me ~ Anthony Bourdain

Atheism is a non-prophet organization.
MichelleH

Postby Minimalist » Sun Jun 17, 2012 11:43 am

I get a daily email feed from ScienceDaily, anyway. They cover quite a lot of ground.
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
Minimalist

Return to The 'Everything Else' Forum.....