Unknown very old stone carved piece

Post your tips and helper files here! Uploading, researching information, grant writing, you name it. If it will help someone or if you have a question, here's the place to post.

Moderators: Minimalist, MichelleH

Unknown very old stone carved piece

Postby 2fat2slow » Thu Mar 31, 2016 4:51 am

Hello & good afternoon everyone,

Looking forward to identify one old pieces which i o but don't known what is it exactly - after me personal re-search i was not able to find any information which possibly could serve as "jump start" when re-searching this piece more.

I really would be very grateful if someone could advice me with something.

So "where do i start to eat" first? :)

Thank you guys in advance!


Measures:

Weight: ~ 3kg 238g or 3238g
Height: ~ 8.60 inch
Length: ~ 6.40 inch
Width: ~ 3.95 inch
Attachments
3.jpg
3.jpg (11.31 KiB) Viewed 17333 times
2.jpg
2.jpg (10.41 KiB) Viewed 17333 times
1.jpg
1.jpg (8.19 KiB) Viewed 17333 times
2fat2slow
 
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon Mar 28, 2016 8:37 am

Re: Unknown very old stone carved piece

Postby 2fat2slow » Thu Mar 31, 2016 4:56 am

2 more pictures
Attachments
8.jpg
8.jpg (17.43 KiB) Viewed 17332 times
5.jpg
5.jpg (7.88 KiB) Viewed 17332 times
2fat2slow
 
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon Mar 28, 2016 8:37 am

Re: Unknown very old stone carved piece

Postby circumspice » Thu Mar 31, 2016 6:44 am

Stone or ceramic pottery?

Where did you acquire it? When?

Just an observation: It looks like a decorated mortar that has no pestle...

The face on it looks veiled, so maybe Middle Eastern? Is that a representation of a person carrying a basket with a 'tumpline'???

After taking a 2nd look, it also looks like a chimpanzee knuckle walking... :lol:
"Damn with faint praise, assent with civil leer, and, without sneering, teach the rest to sneer." ~ Alexander Pope
User avatar
circumspice
 
Posts: 623
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 7:10 pm

Re: Unknown very old stone carved piece

Postby Minimalist » Thu Mar 31, 2016 2:20 pm

This could pass for a Rohrshach Test.

Image


Image
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
Minimalist
 
Posts: 15441
Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2005 1:09 pm
Location: Arizona

Re: Unknown very old stone carved piece

Postby 2fat2slow » Thu Mar 31, 2016 2:51 pm

circumspice wrote:Stone or ceramic pottery?

Where did you acquire it? When?

Just an observation: It looks like a decorated mortar that has no pestle...

The face on it looks veiled, so maybe Middle Eastern? Is that a representation of a person carrying a basket with a 'tumpline'???

After taking a 2nd look, it also looks like a chimpanzee knuckle walking... :lol:


This is carved out of stone..country..no idea, maybe old Asia?

Personally me - i was not able to find anything similar, regarding carved facial "structure".
2fat2slow
 
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon Mar 28, 2016 8:37 am

Re: Unknown very old stone carved piece

Postby circumspice » Thu Mar 31, 2016 8:14 pm

If it is made out of stone, I think it could be part of a Mortar & Pestle set, used for grinding. It has a bowl shaped section that looks like it could have been used to grind a small amount of some substance like herbs or seeds.

I'm curious about the hole that is drilled horizontally through the top part. I wonder what purpose it serves.
"Damn with faint praise, assent with civil leer, and, without sneering, teach the rest to sneer." ~ Alexander Pope
User avatar
circumspice
 
Posts: 623
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 7:10 pm

Re: Unknown very old stone carved piece

Postby 2fat2slow » Fri Apr 01, 2016 2:48 am

circumspice wrote:If it is made out of stone, I think it could be part of a Mortar & Pestle set, used for grinding. It has a bowl shaped section that looks like it could have been used to grind a small amount of some substance like herbs or seeds.

I'm curious about the hole that is drilled horizontally through the top part. I wonder what purpose it serves.


Very well spotted Sir, it should be grinding tool..I never had such idea on my mind, i was looking at something as ritual vessel etc.

Holes, very interesting subject to discuss - so let's say it is grinding tool, maybe rope was used to store it somewhere, when hanging it? or let's say, to hang it while walking from point A to point B ?
2fat2slow
 
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon Mar 28, 2016 8:37 am

Re: Unknown very old stone carved piece

Postby circumspice » Sat Apr 02, 2016 6:52 am

You didn't post a photo of the bottom of the object. Why?
"Damn with faint praise, assent with civil leer, and, without sneering, teach the rest to sneer." ~ Alexander Pope
User avatar
circumspice
 
Posts: 623
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 7:10 pm

Re: Unknown very old stone carved piece

Postby 2fat2slow » Sat Apr 02, 2016 10:14 pm

circumspice wrote:You didn't post a photo of the bottom of the object. Why?


Good question :) apologies, simply i think i forgot how it is important, here you go;
Attachments
rsz_1rsz_dsc07381.jpg
rsz_1rsz_dsc07381.jpg (133.21 KiB) Viewed 17296 times
2fat2slow
 
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon Mar 28, 2016 8:37 am

Re: Unknown very old stone carved piece

Postby circumspice » Sun Apr 03, 2016 7:30 am

I doubt that the object is made of carved stone.

First, the weight... It's too light for its size.

Second, the holes... Admittedly, I have only seen your photos... However, it seems to have several holes all over the object. The holes seem to show that the object is hollow.

Maybe the object is ceramic pottery.
"Damn with faint praise, assent with civil leer, and, without sneering, teach the rest to sneer." ~ Alexander Pope
User avatar
circumspice
 
Posts: 623
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 7:10 pm

Re: Unknown very old stone carved piece

Postby 2fat2slow » Sun Apr 03, 2016 7:42 am

circumspice wrote:I doubt that the object is made of carved stone.

First, the weight... It's too light for its size.

Second, the holes... Admittedly, I have only seen your photos... However, it seems to have several holes all over the object. The holes seem to show that the object is hollow.

Maybe the object is ceramic pottery.



1st of all - there is no doubt about "stone"
2nd of all - you are trying to deny "something" what you have on your mind
3rd of all - holes there for reasons, it doesn't matter which holes we are talking about.

4th - if you have something to say regarding this object, would be really great - if not, probably this is just normal forum trolling...

With all do respect.
2fat2slow
 
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon Mar 28, 2016 8:37 am

Re: Unknown very old stone carved piece

Postby Springhead » Sun Apr 03, 2016 9:50 am

Hello,

As in Minimalist's post, the piece does look like some sort of dog. The "bowl" structure looks as if it is designed to pour from the upper part of the image where the "lip" is partially out of the image frame. In the right facing profile, I can see a bearded standing man in the lower part of the image under the "jaw." This looks like intaglio. I also am picking up other carved faces on the exterior among the textural surface carvings. There appears to be a face in the bottom of the bowl that looks human or a human animal combination. Perhaps the hole is for a cord to hang the piece, or maybe where a shaft could be put through to pivot the piece in pouring. Looking at the bottom, it looks like it could be limestone which could explain the porous nature of the material around the rim. It may be useful to inspect the bottom carefully with a lens to see any very small carved subject matter, not to mention checking out the entire surface of the piece.

Folks are skeptical about micro carving as being the realm of the fantast, but I have a feeling that there may be a great deal of subject matter virtually hidden due to its small scale.

There also appears to be some interesting carving on the lower part of the bowl lip at the bottom of the bowl image. This looks like some type of script, though it is unclear what type.
Springhead
 
Posts: 194
Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2016 4:50 am

Re: Unknown very old stone carved piece

Postby 2fat2slow » Mon Apr 04, 2016 12:48 am

Springhead wrote:Hello,

As in Minimalist's post, the piece does look like some sort of dog. The "bowl" structure looks as if it is designed to pour from the upper part of the image where the "lip" is partially out of the image frame. In the right facing profile, I can see a bearded standing man in the lower part of the image under the "jaw." This looks like intaglio. I also am picking up other carved faces on the exterior among the textural surface carvings. There appears to be a face in the bottom of the bowl that looks human or a human animal combination. Perhaps the hole is for a cord to hang the piece, or maybe where a shaft could be put through to pivot the piece in pouring. Looking at the bottom, it looks like it could be limestone which could explain the porous nature of the material around the rim. It may be useful to inspect the bottom carefully with a lens to see any very small carved subject matter, not to mention checking out the entire surface of the piece.

Folks are skeptical about micro carving as being the realm of the fantast, but I have a feeling that there may be a great deal of subject matter virtually hidden due to its small scale.

There also appears to be some interesting carving on the lower part of the bowl lip at the bottom of the bowl image. This looks like some type of script, though it is unclear what type.


Hi there,

I want to thank you for very informational and professional replay! Really very pleased with your replay.

I took your advice and inspected this piece properly, informational data all over inside on bowl walls, there is some symbols, marks, not very visible, most of them worn off with age or when using this tool, and not very visible (i hope this is not that case when someone looking at clouds in a sky :) )

I do not know what sort of data or script as you said possibly could be inside bowl on a walls, i noticed more human figures and more faces there.

Later on i will post some links to uploaded pictures as forum rules doesn't allow to post quality pictures, and it is not really possible to inspect minor things on this piece..

I think soon enough i will have to find someone who will have pretty much clear idea what "it" can be - and handed in for real,live inspection.

Thank you Sir.
2fat2slow
 
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon Mar 28, 2016 8:37 am

Re: Unknown very old stone carved piece

Postby 2fat2slow » Mon Apr 04, 2016 2:35 am

Few links to pictures as promised;

P.S. i uploaded it to my google drive, if it will be any difficulties to open links, please let me know, i will look for alternative way showing detailed pictures & apologies if somewhere i doubled same areas, i tried to shoot same areas from few angles.


Thanks

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1t5d2 ... sp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1t5d2 ... sp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1t5d2 ... sp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1t5d2 ... sp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1t5d2 ... sp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1t5d2 ... sp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1t5d2 ... sp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1t5d2 ... sp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1t5d2 ... sp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1t5d2 ... sp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1t5d2 ... sp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1t5d2 ... sp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1t5d2 ... sp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1t5d2 ... sp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1t5d2 ... sp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1t5d2 ... sp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1t5d2 ... sp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1t5d2 ... sp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1t5d2 ... sp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1t5d2 ... sp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1t5d2 ... sp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1t5d2 ... sp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1t5d2 ... sp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1t5d2 ... sp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1t5d2 ... sp=sharing
2fat2slow
 
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon Mar 28, 2016 8:37 am


Return to Tips and Helper Files

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron