Fingerprints of the Gods - Book Review

Random older topics of discussion

Moderators: Minimalist, MichelleH

Postby marduk » Sun Jan 21, 2007 4:39 pm

if all the ice in antartica melted overnight the sea level would rise by 70 metres

it would take catastrophic warming of the earths surface for that to happen
the planet flying into the sun would probably do it
otherwise it would take millions of years
the ice has been there for 50 million years iirc

global warning by compariosn is like trying to defrost your freezer while it is still on with a bic lighter
:lol:
I would love to have the faith to believe that the Earth was created in seven days but... I have thoughts "Lewis Black"
marduk

Postby Digit » Sun Jan 21, 2007 4:49 pm

I'm glad you said that Marduk, a dose of reality.
Digit

Postby marduk » Sun Jan 21, 2007 4:53 pm

well in the event of the sea level rising that much we wouldnt have to worry about it because we'd already be dead
I would love to have the faith to believe that the Earth was created in seven days but... I have thoughts "Lewis Black"
marduk

Postby Digit » Sun Jan 21, 2007 4:55 pm

I'm buying myself a mountain, this might one time when 'they' are correct. :twisted:
Digit

Postby marduk » Sun Jan 21, 2007 5:19 pm

theres only two realistic (far fetched) scenarios that would cause the icecaps to melt that way
1) the planet goes off course and flies into the sun
2) the worlds nuclear stockpile all detonates over the poles at the same time

in either case
your mountain isn't going to do you much good
marduk

Postby Beagle » Mon Jan 22, 2007 12:20 am

Bottom line - the temperature had a small effect and it was not sudden, which is Beagle's original question.

Thanks Monk, I appreciate your opinion. The warming of the water in our oceans did not affect us globally I don't think, but there are areas that are susceptible to any sea level rise. Bangladesh is a good example.

Thanks for kicking the thought around though, and if you like massive complicated math equations like that one I'll be glad to check with you later. :lol:

Seriously, thanks.
Beagle

Postby Essan » Mon Jan 22, 2007 7:36 am

Thermal expansion of sea water?

http://sedac.ciesin.columbia.edu/mva/WR1987/WR1987.html

Too bl**dy complicated for me! But the simple answer is that it's not a big effect. As far as the past goes - I think tropical sea temperatures are estimated at around 1-2c lower than today. Arctic waters were, of course, quite a lot colder than today. However subsequent thermal expansion would have been insignifcant compared to the rises wrought by melting glaciers.
Essan

Postby Digit » Mon Jan 22, 2007 7:45 am

The deep pelagic waters have probably not altered their temps over very long periods of time Essan, and the Arctic water can't alter much at depth as sea water freezes at about -2C. It's the surface temp that affects land masses like the UK.
Digit

Postby Beagle » Tue Jan 23, 2007 6:18 pm

I'm still here Min, but I have a horrible head cold that I've been taking care of since last weekend..
Beagle

Postby Minimalist » Tue Jan 23, 2007 6:19 pm

A couple of good stiff drinks should help.

Won't get rid of the cold but you won't care.
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
Minimalist

Postby Beagle » Tue Jan 23, 2007 6:22 pm

Sounds like a good idea. :lol:
Beagle

Postby marduk » Tue Jan 23, 2007 6:41 pm

From Academic Kids Online Encyclopedia
Hancock is either one of two things: A man who is lying and doesn't know it, or a man who is lying and does.

http://academickids.com/encyclopedia/in ... am_Hancock
My personal opinion is that the man is a clever con-man exploiting the public's thirst for fantastic tales just deeply, deeply stupid or just lacks any discriminatory thought processes at all. Either way, I agree that the vast corpus of material that explicitly or implicitly makes a mockery of his emissions should be acknowledged

marduk

Postby Beagle » Thu Jan 25, 2007 8:41 pm

At the beginning of Ch. 47, GH returns to Giza and meets up with J.A.West. Other than the wild statement that West made about the Med. being dry at the end of the ice age, I can't find much new to discuss. It seems to be a review of the"lost vanished civilizations" philosophy that is throughout his book.

The next day he has a long conversation with Bauval. I'll wait and see if you want to go over the West conversation.
Beagle

Postby Minimalist » Thu Jan 25, 2007 8:50 pm

Let me review it tonight.
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
Minimalist

Postby Beagle » Thu Jan 25, 2007 9:08 pm

Minimalist wrote:Let me review it tonight.

Beagle

PreviousNext

Return to Archived Discussion Forum