Not exactly Archaeology....

Random older topics of discussion

Moderators: Minimalist, MichelleH

Postby daybrown » Sat Aug 04, 2007 7:54 pm

Inasmuch as nobody in the power structure or military knew the import of Zimbardo's results, or the new lie detection technologies, I haveta conclude their education, at the very least, was lacking. And if you are confronted with a national security problem, to not look up the neurological and psychological data is indicative of psychological denial.

I cannot imagine a situation in which torture would be preferred. It takes longer, and there are *psychological* studies which suggest that quite often the subject produces whatever he thinks the interorgators want rather than his best recollection. Moreover, sometimes the truth itself is hidden from a subject by psychological denial, yet the new lie detection tools can still uncover it.

Who tests the guards to make sure they are sane? What test can be designed that is not a result of group think? The very same loyalty & patriotism that empowers the group to act in unison makes it subject to denial of reality.
Any god watching me hasta be bored, and needs to get a life.
daybrown

Postby Minimalist » Sat Aug 04, 2007 7:57 pm

judicial safeguards, for example, will not be available.

Judicial safeguards for torture seems like a bit of a non sequitur, Dig.
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
Minimalist

Postby Digit » Sun Aug 05, 2007 4:41 am

It has been proposed Min. I don't imagine the idea is redolent of rack and thumb screws these days.
Take for example when flogging was used, a medical examination pre the punishment was required.
Lawyers wouldn't miss an oportunity for money or control would they, even executions are formalised! :roll:
Digit

Previous

Return to Archived Discussion Forum