Early Sailors

Random older topics of discussion

Moderators: Minimalist, MichelleH

Postby Rokcet Scientist » Wed Jul 25, 2007 6:35 am

Digit wrote:Don't ask me RS, I simply quoted from the same article as you did.

I'm not asking you, Digit. I'm telling you: look at the map!
That 'pay-off' under my posts ain't there for nothing!
Rokcet Scientist

Postby Digit » Wed Jul 25, 2007 6:47 am

They were of course towed for the first few miles RS, as was RA if my memory hasn't failed me again of course! 8)
Maybe there's your explanation, mind you, towing does seem to defeat the object somewhat.
And in any case DNA, studies suggest that the islands were colonised from the west not the east.
And despite your teling me, the article you used for the pic does say DRIFTED in the Humboldt current, doesn't it?
Digit

Stereotypes

Postby Cognito » Wed Jul 25, 2007 7:21 am

Isn't it just possible that Heyerdahl, relying too much on stereotypes that said that early man was too stupid to design a boat simply assumed that they had to use rafts?

They could have had a 60 foot long dugout outrigger.

Min, let's face it. Ancient people had no imagination, were completely rigid in their thinking and never experimented with anything whatsoever. Any discovery of anything was an accident since they lacked the mental acuity to think for themselves or ever have a dream. They were stupid, we are smart. Now, does everyone feel better? :roll:

I probably wouldn't last a day in their world, becoming some predator's lunch or stewing in a large pot for tribal entertainment, but that's beside the point since I am part of the great family of H. sapiens modernis stupiditis. And I am passing my impressive legacy on to my children who cannot locate the Middle East on a map. :shock:
Natural selection favors the paranoid
Cognito

Postby Digit » Wed Jul 25, 2007 7:38 am

Doh! With the exception of metal working Cog it looks as though HE worked out everything, Newton's shoulders of giants is I think relevant.
Digit

Postby Minimalist » Wed Jul 25, 2007 8:50 am

Min, let's face it. Ancient people had no imagination, were completely rigid in their thinking and never experimented with anything whatsoever. Any discovery of anything was an accident since they lacked the mental acuity to think for themselves or ever have a dream. They were stupid, we are smart. Now, does everyone feel better?

AND THEY DIDN'T HAVE ANY FUCKING HAND AXES, EITHER!!!!!!

:D
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
Minimalist

Postby Digit » Wed Jul 25, 2007 8:59 am

OR RAFTS! :lol:
Digit

Postby Minimalist » Wed Jul 25, 2007 10:32 am

Speaking of rafts, Dig, how's the water level in your part of the world. We keep hearing news report of Britain washing away.
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
Minimalist

Postby Digit » Wed Jul 25, 2007 10:57 am

Apart from going rusty and developing webbed feet no prob.
A lot of the areas affected have nobody to blame but themselves, either as individulas or organisations.
People will buy a home, check the schools, shops, pubs etc and that's the end of it.
On an atlas the last glaciation reached just short of the R. Thames and the R. Severn, with the Thames draining the melt water east and the Severn to the west, and isotatic rebound is causing the whole of the south to sink, add rising sea levels and the average river height is higher than in the past.
Also, the level ground of ancient flood plains is beloved by builders, add that lot together and you have a recipe for trouble.
The two rivers I mentioned do have a number of tributeries of course but their catchment area is very large and with more and more being built over (Government policy) the rain water hits the rivers much earlier than of yore.
Here, due to the area being somewhat wetter, we have lots of smaller rivers with each draining a smaller catchment and the local people don't build on the flood plains, in fact the rivers are allowed to burst their banks and dump their silt making prime farm land.
The only long term solution for the affected areas is to cut new channels, watch this space!
Digit

Postby john » Wed Jul 25, 2007 6:37 pm

Minimalist wrote:
Min, let's face it. Ancient people had no imagination, were completely rigid in their thinking and never experimented with anything whatsoever. Any discovery of anything was an accident since they lacked the mental acuity to think for themselves or ever have a dream. They were stupid, we are smart. Now, does everyone feel better?

AND THEY DIDN'T HAVE ANY FUCKING HAND AXES, EITHER!!!!!!

:D

You mean those handaxes I used to find on the edges of late Pleistocene lakebeds near Yermo, California in the late fifties, WEREN'T ????????????????

You just ruined my childhood, and my life.

I'm gonna have to go into heavy psychoanalysis for decades

and sue this site to pay for it.

Being a staunch follower of the Americanski Way, as I am.

John
"Man is a marvellous curiosity. When he is at his very, very best he is sort of a low-grade nickel-plated angel; at his worst he is unspeakable, unimaginable; and first and last and all the time he is a sarcasm."

Mark Twain
john

Postby Minimalist » Wed Jul 25, 2007 8:14 pm

Yes, those.

Figments of your overactive imagination apparently.

-- George Carlin
Minimalist

Previous

Return to Archived Discussion Forum