Save the Dinedor Serpent petition

Random older topics of discussion

Moderators: Minimalist, MichelleH

Save the Dinedor Serpent petition

Postby Manystones » Wed Jul 18, 2007 12:15 pm

From Facebook:
For those of you who are not yet aware, some road workers last week in Hereford stumbled across a 2000 year old significant archaeological site (named 'The Rotherwas Ribon). This site consists of a snake shaped monument which dates back 4000 years (same period as Stone Henge). It appears this monument is the first of its type in Europe and only the second of its type known globally after a similar find in Ohio, USA.

Herefordshire council are determined to carry on with the building of the road by tarmacking straight over the archaeological find despite much local and worldwide opposition.

"Salisbury District Council would never dream of taking a decision to concrete over a monument such as this, without consulting with private tourism business in the area first."
Mary Webb, Salisbury and Stonehenge Tourism Partnership

For more information check out...
http://www.rotherwasribbon.com/

Please help to preserve this amazing find and stop it from being hidden under a bypass for the future!

I do believe there is a 'save the rotherwas ribbon' facebook group...

There's an online petition on the website
Manystones

Postby Minimalist » Wed Jul 18, 2007 1:35 pm

They don't seem to want signatures from us Yanks. Probably just as well. We'd rip Stonehenge down and put up a Starbucks if given the chance!
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
Minimalist

Postby Forum Monk » Wed Jul 18, 2007 2:22 pm

Yeah, and all those old buildings in Europe. Haven't they ever heard of aluminum siding?
Forum Monk

Postby Digit » Wed Jul 18, 2007 2:32 pm

Yep! It's summat what them Yanks use instead of decent timber!
Digit

Postby Rokcet Scientist » Wed Jul 18, 2007 3:32 pm

And then they wonder how it is possible that the average hurricane destroys it like matchsticks...

While the concept of heat inefficiency, thus energy guzzling, global warming accelerating – not to mention casus belli – seems to entirely escape them.

8)
Rokcet Scientist

Postby Forum Monk » Wed Jul 18, 2007 7:44 pm

a) We don't build things to last, because we have/had an abundance of resources, we throw it away or tear it down when it gets old.
b) We don't care about energy conservation or practically any other kind of conservation because, again, we've enjoyed abundance for 300 years.
c) That which we lack we have the power to take.

Recently, some radicals have begun to think about conservation and entertain, thoughts of global ecology. We try not to listen to them, however.
Forum Monk

Postby Minimalist » Wed Jul 18, 2007 7:52 pm

And then they wonder how it is possible that the average hurricane destroys it like matchsticks...

I'm not the least bit surprised by that. I keep wondering why people keep building wood frame houses in tornado zones.

But, WTH do I know.
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
Minimalist

Postby Digit » Thu Jul 19, 2007 1:44 am

Then at he other end of the scale we have the UK style of building everything in brick and tile.
I live in a clapboard single story house, the footings are lighter than a B&T, the clapboard doesn't 'spall' in frost like brick, it's much more energy efficient than a B&T, and the energy used in timber conversion is but a minute fraction of that required to produce cement, concrete, brick and tiles.
In addition I have been in a twister and the B&Ts suffered pretty badly as well.
Horses for courses I think.
Digit

Postby War Arrow » Thu Jul 19, 2007 5:48 am

"Salisbury District Council would never dream of taking a decision to concrete over a monument such as this, without consulting with private tourism business in the area first."
Mary Webb, Salisbury and Stonehenge Tourism Partnership

So if they did consult with representatives of the private tourism business in the area and realised that such a site wouldn't do much for bums-on-seats and would probably just attract a minority of weirdos who never do much for the local economy because they usually bring their own sandwiches, then it would be okay to concrete over it and stick up another branch of Burger Barn. If that's typical of the case for the sodding defence then there's not much hope for the snakey place. Very typical of this country. My folks live in Coventry which, as you may know, was something of a supermarket trolley dash for the Luftwaffe during WWII, so it was kind of a surprise to discover that of the stuff that Hitler's finest left standing, rather a lot of it was pulled down by the council in the 1950s.
War Arrow

Postby Digit » Thu Jul 19, 2007 6:16 am

Again there's an upside and a downside, usually dependent on the individual moron in charge. Too many public officials WA are too scared of making a decision, their attitude seems to be 'if I make a decision I might get it wrong, therefore the answer is, dodge!'
I once lived in a listed property, 16th C, thatched, half timbered and wattle and daub walls.
The thatch was in poor condition around the chimney with no box gutter to keep the water out of the house. I approached the council about a grant, 'certainly, remove the thatch and tile it,' was their answer.
As usual I solved the problem myself.
I could list a number of other ****** etc etc etc decisions but I won't bore you!
Digit

Postby War Arrow » Fri Jul 20, 2007 5:57 am

And that's why we need people like this in charge:
Could it be any worse than the clowns we already have?
War Arrow

Return to Archived Discussion Forum