Anasazi not carried off in spaceship shock news

Random older topics of discussion

Moderators: Minimalist, MichelleH

Anasazi not carried off in spaceship shock news

Postby War Arrow » Mon Jul 16, 2007 1:02 am

News page:
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=11828089
Maybe I've got a bad memory or I've just been reading the wrong things, but I found this interesting and it's nice to actually see some speculation as to where this lot dissappeared to. Everything I've read before just seems to have ended with "they dissappeared," and that's it, thus leaving the floor wide open for "and then they built Atlantis" etc.
Have to admit though, the digressions in the excerpt from the book got a bit much after a while, suggesting archaeology as some sort of George Michael video full of sweating men playfully slapping each others buns before it gets to the bits that won't get shown on MTV, if you know what I'm saying.
War Arrow

Anasazi

Postby Cognito » Mon Jul 16, 2007 6:39 am

Just over ten years ago I spoke with a native at the Taos Pueblo in New Mexico, a member of the Red Willow Tribe. I asked her what happened to the Anasazi and she responded, "Some of them became members of our tribe, others went elsewhere."

http://www.eere.energy.gov/tribalenergy/pdfs/taos_pueblo_tep_nov03.pdf
Natural selection favors the paranoid
Cognito

Re: Anasazi

Postby Rokcet Scientist » Mon Jul 16, 2007 4:01 pm

Cognito wrote:Just over ten years ago I spoke with a native at the Taos Pueblo in New Mexico, a member of the Red Willow Tribe. I asked her what happened to the Anasazi and she responded, "Some of them became members of our tribe, others went elsewhere."

The Anasazi left their homelands because a prolonged drought made life untenable there. They went into a diaspora. And assimilated into their various neighbors.
An example how a changing climate changes people. Even makes them disappear entirely sometimes.
Rokcet Scientist

Re: Anasazi

Postby War Arrow » Tue Jul 17, 2007 1:25 am

Cognito wrote:Just over ten years ago I spoke with a native at the Taos Pueblo in New Mexico, a member of the Red Willow Tribe. I asked her what happened to the Anasazi and she responded, "Some of them became members of our tribe, others went elsewhere."

I think I'm going prematurely senile because now I think on I'd swear you already told me that once, Cog. Need more memory space. still, it touches on something I've noticed about certain strains of er... ethnology (correct term) wherein tales of ancestors turning into animals or types of fruit or whatever lead to everything claimed by a certain group being regarded as immediately dubious beyond reason without solid evidence to back it up. Hundreds of years ago when I first got the Mesoamerica bug I came across a few layman books (not of the Atlantis persuasion either) claiming that no-one really knows where the Maya dissappeared to after the fall of the Classic era city states. The answer that they may have been the ancestors to the millions of Maya still living in the area didn't strike me as that difficult to work out. Either the authors in question didn't ecactly mean to say what they ended up saying, or there was still a lot of received wisdom floating around. As is still true in some cases.
War Arrow

Maya

Postby Cognito » Tue Jul 17, 2007 7:33 am

I came across a few layman books (not of the Atlantis persuasion either) claiming that no-one really knows where the Maya dissappeared to after the fall of the Classic era city states. The answer that they may have been the ancestors to the millions of Maya still living in the area didn't strike me as that difficult to work out.

W/A, I must have read the same book(s) stating that the Maya had vanished. Upon visiting the Yucatan I found that that the MAYA ARE EVERYWHERE. They're just living in grass roof huts now as opposed to building temples, etc. :roll:

It was in Cozumel where I developed the Mayan Grandma Bowling Ball Hypothethis: Mayan grandmas all wear floral print dresses (to instill fear in the hearts of gringos) and overeat to the point where they are 4 feet high and 4 feet wide. Their ensuing bowling ball physique gives them a distinct competitive advantage at pushing to the front of any line. :shock:
Natural selection favors the paranoid
Cognito

Re: Maya

Postby War Arrow » Wed Jul 18, 2007 4:07 am

Cognito wrote:
It was in Cozumel where I developed the Mayan Grandma Bowling Ball Hypothethis: Mayan grandmas all wear floral print dresses (to instill fear in the hearts of gringos) and overeat to the point where they are 4 feet high and 4 feet wide. Their ensuing bowling ball physique gives them a distinct competitive advantage at pushing to the front of any line. :shock:

One visit to Mexico (and encounters with the inscrutable power of Mexican grandmothers) inspired a proposal for an A-Team type TV show in my diary. Each week the terrorist threat/hostage situation/bank job would be well and truly dealt with by a coach load of 30 or 40 grimacing Mexican grannies slowly plodding onto the crime scene and overwhelming the perps with silent disapproval. Never followed it up though.
War Arrow

Postby Roberto » Wed Jul 18, 2007 6:59 am

Change those floral print dresses, for
Killer Bee costumes and give each Grandma
a moped, and I'll buy it!
I think that would make a great sitcom series.
:wink:
Roberto

Postby War Arrow » Thu Jul 19, 2007 6:09 am

Roberto wrote:Change those floral print dresses, for
Killer Bee costumes and give each Grandma
a moped, and I'll buy it!
I think that would make a great sitcom series.
:wink:

Yeah, but it would also make a great reality, which is something that doesn't seem to apply in some parts of Mexico. In what other country would you get a guy dressing up as a giant bird, not only so he can wrestle but also so he can expose the town mayor as an arsehole.
Mopeds and bee costumes - nice touch. Throw in a few capes and I'll buy it.
War Arrow

Postby Digit » Thu Jul 19, 2007 6:18 am

I've never known it necessary to dress up in anything to prove that WA! :lol:
Digit

Postby War Arrow » Fri Jul 20, 2007 5:50 am

Digit wrote:I've never known it necessary to dress up in anything to prove that WA! :lol:

True, but it can't hurt can it? I mean look at this guy...
Why would anyone want to vote for the other candidate?
War Arrow

Postby Digit » Fri Jul 20, 2007 6:08 am

Good point WA, he's more colourful than our present 'beloved leader'.
Digit

Return to Archived Discussion Forum