Complete baby mammoth found

Random older topics of discussion

Moderators: Minimalist, MichelleH

Morality

Postby Cognito » Fri Jul 13, 2007 4:50 pm

I'm lost! Why the Hell is it supposed to be morally wrong?

I fail to see the immorality in attempting to bring back a species that everyone admits is way cool. How do you think those mammoths will be treated? They'll probably fare better than their paleolithic predecessors; lots of food, attention and love. Some wing-nut somewhere thinks we want to play God, as if we ever could have that choice. :roll:
Natural selection favors the paranoid
Cognito

Postby Minimalist » Fri Jul 13, 2007 4:53 pm

Digit wrote:I'm lost! Why the Hell is it supposed to be morally wrong?

Because someone else is trying to do it.
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
Minimalist

Postby Digit » Fri Jul 13, 2007 4:56 pm

Probably spend their leisure time pulling the wings off flys. Where do they get their ideas from I wonder.
Digit

Postby Minimalist » Sat Jul 14, 2007 9:29 am

http://www.theherald.co.uk/features/features/display.var.1545703.0.0.php

I especially liked this line.

The prospect of beasts 9ft tall and weighing three tons walking the earth once more - 10,000 years after their most recent ancestors - is highly controversial, not least because their natural habitat of low-quality grass disappeared as a result of global warming.

Whether that was the fatal blow for the mammoth, the earliest fossils of which date from five million years ago, is one of the hot topics exercising the palaeontologists and palaeobiologists. Opinion tends to divide between scientists and archaeologists. Scientists have traditionally favoured the "overkill theory" which explains the extinction of the mammoths by the arrival of human hunters: the animals, unfamiliar with the danger, failed to defend themselves or escape. Archaeologists, however, think that global warming at the end of the Pleistocene era is the more likely cause, because of the lack of archaeological evidence that humans were killing large numbers of mammoths and horses.

Really? I'd put the Clovis-firsters squarely in the "Overkill" category.
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
Minimalist

Postby Digit » Sat Jul 14, 2007 9:50 am

Low quality grass? What the devil does that look like? It didn't seem to harm any other species, and I recall that one mammoth was recovered that had been eating various herbacious plants.
The teeth of Mammoths were designed to eat rough herbage, same as modern Elephants.
Digit

Postby Minimalist » Sat Jul 14, 2007 11:58 am

I'm sure Rokcet will chime in soon with a comment about low quality grass.

-- George Carlin
Minimalist

Postby Rokcet Scientist » Sat Jul 14, 2007 12:11 pm

Minimalist wrote:I'm sure Rokcet will chime in soon with a comment about low quality grass.

8)
Low quality grass?
Haven't seen it for years!
Don't do it unless you want a nasty cough.
Which reminds me . . .
BRB!
8)

Rokcet Scientist

Postby Digit » Sat Jul 14, 2007 2:10 pm

Must confess I didn't see that one coming. Must have led a sheltered life I guess. :lol:
Digit

Mammoths

Postby Cognito » Sat Jul 14, 2007 2:32 pm

... not least because their natural habitat of low-quality grass disappeared as a result of global warming.

So basically, if I am to read the comments correctly: If we provide cloned mammoths with doobies laced with alfalfa they should be able to survive our globally warmed environment? :shock:
Natural selection favors the paranoid
Cognito

Postby Digit » Sat Jul 14, 2007 2:39 pm

Something like that Cog. It seems that modern 'experts' are no more above making stupid comments than their forefathers were, perhaps they need to study some grass.
Digit

Postby Minimalist » Sat Jul 14, 2007 3:12 pm

How do you think those mammoths will be treated?

They'll be spoiled rotten. They'll all end up as juvenile delinquents.

-- George Carlin
Minimalist

Postby Rokcet Scientist » Sat Jul 14, 2007 6:02 pm

Minimalist wrote:

Naaah. You'll be able to shoot one as a hunting trophy for a couple hundred thou per. Just like the Siberian Tiger.
Rokcet Scientist

Postby War Arrow » Sun Jul 15, 2007 3:36 am

Minimalist wrote:

Especially if they're raised on an endless supply of chronic. Next thing it'll be crack, and pcp, and we'll have mammoth pimps rolling around in 64s (though I must admit I'm not quite sure what a 64 is - just seem to have heard it on a lot of CDs) putting mammoth hoochie-mamas on every street corner. Don't say I didn't warn anybody.
War Arrow

More on the Baby Mammoth

Postby FreeThinker » Mon Jul 16, 2007 5:50 pm

Here is some more info from John Hawk's website. Of special interest is his fashion statement towards the end. *shakes head*

http://johnhawks.net/weblog/topics/biotech/ancient/mammoth_cloning_2007.html
Science: the PROOF shall set you free
FreeThinker

Postby Forum Monk » Mon Jul 16, 2007 7:27 pm

War Arrow wrote:
Minimalist wrote:

Especially if they're raised on an endless supply of chronic. Next thing it'll be crack, and pcp, and we'll have mammoth pimps rolling around in 64s (though I must admit I'm not quite sure what a 64 is - just seem to have heard it on a lot of CDs) putting mammoth hoochie-mamas on every street corner. Don't say I didn't warn anybody.

Actually, I know what 64's are. There are several meanings including the 64 ounce beer sizes which are ... well bigger than 40s. A few years ago one popular hip hop tune spoke of jumping in the 64. It was a car, model year 1964. These cars can roll on 24s, which are 24 inch rims and special low profile tires.

Hey...I have to stay contemporary. I have a teenage girl at home and I hate being uninformed. OK, back to my suburban all too white world.
Forum Monk

Previous

Return to Archived Discussion Forum