Digit

Random older topics of discussion

Moderators: Minimalist, MichelleH

Postby Minimalist » Fri Jun 08, 2007 7:51 am

Hey, Digit. This story broke in the papers a little while ago. I don't know if you take vitamins but....

http://www.cnn.com/2007/HEALTH/conditions/05/21/men.prostate.vitamins.ap/index.html

Heavy multivitamin users were almost twice as likely to get fatal prostate cancer as men who never took the pills, concludes the study in the Journal of the National Cancer Institute.

Here's the twist: Overall, the researchers found no link between multivitamin use and early stage prostate cancer.

The researchers speculate that perhaps high-dose vitamins had little effect until a tumor appeared, and then could spur its growth.
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
Minimalist

Postby Digit » Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:53 am

You can't win can you Min? No I've never been a user of anything much, but these last few years I've been given medication for Arthritis, followed by medication to deal with side effects of that, followed by medication to deal with the side effects of that, etc, till I eventually stopped the damn lot. It was then that the cancer was discovered.
One week you hear of a new wonder treatment for something, followed the next week by a warning that it's dangerous, as I said, you just can't win.
Over here the government seems determined to take the risk element out of everything, no risk, no danger, = no sense of achievement, and the sky will still fall on you!
Digit

Postby Frank Harrist » Fri Jun 22, 2007 9:20 pm

Roy, I've been away for a while and this is the first I'm hearing of your condition. I'm glad it's treatable. I don't have any advice for you. I don't pray, but I will think positive thoughts for you and I do most certainly wish you well. Keep us posted.
Frank Harrist

Postby Digit » Sat Jun 23, 2007 2:40 am

Hi Frank, nice to see you back in circulation and thanks for your support.
My condition, well, when I first mentioned it I had been diagnosed as having a 'large and aggressive tumour'.
Test are still on going, (MRI on this coming Monday), but the biopsy results came back as 'probably small and 3, possibly 4 on the 'G' scale'.
In other words, not very aggressive.
My doctor informs me, that subject to the MRI results, surgery or radio therapy are the most likely treatment, both of which are considered as a cure rather than remission.
My fingers are crossed and my next meeting with the consultant is on the 10th of next month when treatment will be discussed.
Digit

Postby Forum Monk » Sat Jun 23, 2007 6:28 am

10th of next month you'll talk about treatment options, eh?
Well, judging by the nonaggressive way they are handling it, sounds like they're not concerned about you keeling over before they get their bills paid.
:lol:
Forum Monk

Postby Digit » Sat Jun 23, 2007 7:18 am

True Monk, our health system isn't the world's fastest, but to be fair I have probably had this tumour for months, if not some years, and there are probably people in more urgent need than me and I can't begrudge them being ahead of me.
The only real downside for us is the uncertainty whilst awaiting results but right from the start my own doctor has been of the opinion that I'm not in any serious danger. Just hope this is one occasion when he's not wrong! :roll:
Digit

Postby Digit » Tue Jul 10, 2007 12:10 pm

This is not an easy post to compose, but most of you will know what has happened to me and I have received great support from you all.
My consultant can offer no reason and I leave the matter with you all without comment.
The tumour has shrunk!
I have now been offered three therapies with a good chance of a complete cure.
On behalf of my wife and myself I offer my grateful thanks to you all! :D :D :D
Digit

Postby War Arrow » Tue Jul 10, 2007 12:28 pm

Damn! To echo what Frank said, this is news to me also. Glad that it seems to be good news in so much that it could have been worse news, but you're in my thoughts, Digit. I've known a few (two to be precise) old chaps at work who've had similarly big scares followed by recovery and are still fine and causing the usual trouble today, so hang in there. I got seriously bereaved about a year ago (which ties in to my six month absence in these parts) and I'm getting fed up of losing the senior generation. In fact I'm starting to distrust anyone under 40 (having just turned 41). They're all bloody idiots.
War Arrow

Postby Manystones » Tue Jul 10, 2007 12:42 pm

I am keeping my fingers crossed for you too Roy.
Manystones

Postby Digit » Tue Jul 10, 2007 12:46 pm

Cheers fellahs, today the wife and I went out and celebrated. We bought the first new auto we have ever had. Now if it would stop raining---.
Digit

Postby Beagle » Tue Jul 10, 2007 1:15 pm

The tumour has shrunk!

I'm sure that's the best news any of us have heard today Digit. :D
Beagle

Postby Digit » Tue Jul 10, 2007 1:29 pm

Thanks Beag, it's gone down well here as well. Despite having been married for over 30 yrs I didn't really understand how hard the past few weeks have been on wife, and how much of a treasure she has been to us all.
Perhaps some good has come out of this experience after all.
Digit

Good news

Postby Cognito » Tue Jul 10, 2007 1:35 pm

Congrats on the remission! Just keep doing what you have been doing and consider the least invasive procedure as additional insurance against any recurrence. :D
Natural selection favors the paranoid
Cognito

Postby Digit » Tue Jul 10, 2007 1:40 pm

Will do Cog, and thanks again.
Digit

Postby Charlie Hatchett » Tue Jul 10, 2007 2:01 pm

Excellent news, Roy. 8)
Charlie Hatchett

PreClovis Artifacts from Central Texas
www.preclovis.com
http://forum.preclovis.com
Charlie Hatchett