Page 1 of 3

Yeah - BOATS 67,000 BC.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 7:09 am
by Minimalist
http://www8.gmanews.tv/story/197541/researchers-discover-fossil-of-human-older-than-tabon-man

A team of archaeologists led by Dr. Armand Mijares of the University of the Philippines-Diliman has confirmed that a foot bone they discovered in Callao Cave in Cagayan province was at least 67,000 years old. Tabon Man’s remains were a relatively young 50,000 years old.

“So far this could be the earliest human fossil found in the Asia-Pacific region. The presence of humans in Luzon shows these early humans already possessed knowledge of seacraft-making in this early period," Mijares told GMANews.TV in an exclusive interview conducted by email in between archaeological digs.



No one walked to the Philippines.

Re: Yeah - BOATS 67,000 BC.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 2:27 pm
by Rokcet Scientist
Minimalist wrote:No one walked to the Philippines.


Sure they did. And long before 67,000 YBP! I'll bet it was well before 500,000 YBP even. It was a dry continental plane then. Probably a great savannah. It was a walk in the park. Easy-peasy!
The Sulu Sea's defining aspect is its shallowness. It is one of the shallowest seas on the planet. Much of it is less than 3/4 feet deep. If you protect your feet sufficiently against the coral you could walk/wade to the Philipines today! Let alone in the middle of an ice age with much lower sea levels still (and no coral to cut your feet on)!

Re: Yeah - BOATS 67,000 BC.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:14 pm
by dannan14
http://www.internalwaveatlas.com/Atlas_ ... uluSea.PDF

Sounds like the Sulu sea has an average depth of 4400m. It has waves with amplitudes of 90m, and has a strong current of up to 3.4m/s. To walk on that you'd have to be the master from Remo Williams.

Re: Yeah - BOATS 67,000 BC.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:39 pm
by Rokcet Scientist
dannan14 wrote:http://www.internalwaveatlas.com/Atlas_PDF/IWAtlas_Pg185_SuluSea.PDF

Sounds like the Sulu sea has an average depth of 4400m. It has waves with amplitudes of 90m, and has a strong current of up to 3.4m/s. To walk on that you'd have to be the master from Remo Williams.


Really? Wow! Then those pile houses have mighty long piles...

Maybe that's where BP ought to go for advice on how to work at great depth.

Re: Yeah - BOATS 67,000 BC.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 6:17 pm
by Minimalist
Sounds like the Sulu sea has an average depth of 4400m


R/S thinks people were taller back then!

Re: Yeah - BOATS 67,000 BC.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 1:19 pm
by Digit
Yeah, and they couldn't build boats either Min! :lol:

Roy.

Re: Yeah - BOATS 67,000 BC.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 2:48 pm
by Rokcet Scientist
Digit wrote:Yeah, and they couldn't build boats either Min! :lol:

They didn't need to: being 4401 metres tall, they could wade. No boats necessary.

Luckily they shrunk again when they got to Luzon. As is witnessed by that 67,000 year old finger bone they just found.
Just like HF the Hobbitt shrunk.

Re: Yeah - BOATS 67,000 BC.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 4:20 pm
by Digit
Some people will believe any independent thought.

Roy.

Re: Yeah - BOATS 67,000 BC.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 5:11 pm
by Digit
I note that the Sulu Sea is nearly 400 milies across. I wonder how long it would take to walk across that?

Roy.

Re: Yeah - BOATS 67,000 BC.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 5:33 pm
by Rokcet Scientist
Digit wrote:Some people will believe any independent thought.

Apparently the concept eludes you:
one doesn't 'believe' an independent thought someone else had, one has an independent thought for oneself.

But some don't.

Re: Yeah - BOATS 67,000 BC.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 5:58 pm
by Digit
Thus you are in a club of one, it must get lonely.
On Ishtar's forum there is a chap who insists that there is no such thing as gravity, it's all down to the Aether, that the sun is only a few hundred mile above us, that the Appolo crews never landed on the Moon, simply orbited the Earth, that there is no such thing as Sun light.
Then we have Uni with his ideas and yourself. And guess what RS, all three of you say that they have arrived at their views by way of independent thought.
And in any case I wasn't referring to others, I was referring to those who have these flashes of independent thought.
And none of you do actually 'cos you bolster your claims with reports from those 'experts' who support your views and condemn the same 'experts where they don't. For example you religiously quote 300 ft sea level falls during the last GM. I assume that you weren't around at the time and that you are not claiming divine intervention so I must assume that again you selectively chose to believe what appears to support your own 'independent thoughts.'
And by the way. The US navy fought a carrier action in the Sulu Sea during WW2 and subs passed through it.
I assume you don't believe that either?

Roy.

Re: Yeah - BOATS 67,000 BC.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 6:01 pm
by Minimalist
On Ishtar's forum there is a chap who insists that there is no such thing as gravity, it's all down to the Aether, that the sun is only a few hundred mile above us, that the Appolo crews never landed on the Moon, simply orbited the Earth, that there is no such thing as Sun light.



? Ish let Arch in?

Re: Yeah - BOATS 67,000 BC.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 6:04 pm
by Rokcet Scientist
Digit wrote:Thus you are in a club of one, it must get lonely.

Yes, indeed, it does get lonely. But I stand on the shoulders of giants like Galileo Galileï, who also didn't have many fans, yet his independent thoughts prevailed eventually. I prefer a thinking loneliness over a mindless herd mentality.

Re: Yeah - BOATS 67,000 BC.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 6:09 pm
by dannan14
Yeah RS, but Galileo collected facts and based his arguments upon them. Not the other way around.

Re: Yeah - BOATS 67,000 BC.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 6:24 pm
by Rokcet Scientist
dannan14 wrote:Yeah RS, but Galileo collected facts and based his arguments upon them. Not the other way around.

Sadly, you're wrong, dannan: good science starts with a hypothesis, and subsequently collects facts or devises experiments to support and test that hypothesis.