From the Sumerian Ishtar to Bouticelli's Venus

The study of religious or heroic legends and tales. One constant rule of mythology is that whatever happens amongst the gods or other mythical beings was in one sense or another a reflection of events on earth. Recorded myths and legends, perhaps preserved in literature or folklore, have an immediate interest to archaeology in trying to unravel the nature and meaning of ancient events and traditions.

Moderators: Minimalist, MichelleH

From the Sumerian Ishtar to Bouticelli's Venus

Postby PaulMarcW » Sun Jun 29, 2008 11:38 am

Marc Washington
PaulMarcW

Postby Ishtar » Sun Jun 29, 2008 1:00 pm

That's a good one! :lol: :oops: :lol:

Ishtar also became Isis, in Egypt.

I think the Rig-vedic Sarama is also her.
Ishtar

Postby Forum Monk » Sun Jun 29, 2008 2:02 pm

The moderators may wish to move this a more appropriate forum. It is clearly not New World.
Forum Monk

Postby MichelleH » Sun Jun 29, 2008 2:23 pm

Forum Monk wrote:The moderators may wish to move this a more appropriate forum. It is clearly not New World.

Your are correct sir!
We've Got Fossils - We win ~ Lewis Black

Red meat, cheese, tobacco, and liquor...it works for me ~ Anthony Bourdain

Atheism is a non-prophet organization.
MichelleH

Postby Ishtar » Sun Jun 29, 2008 3:00 pm

Paul Marc, the only thing I would say is that I'm not sure what you're claiming copyright on ... as the idea about all the goddesses who developed from Ishtar isn't new, and the pictures were not taken by you.

I did a similar post on this theme a few months ago in the Palaeo Shaman thread and I went right back to 18-20,000 BC and the Venus of Laussel.

http://archaeologica.boardbot.com/viewt ... c&start=90

Image[/b]
Ishtar

Postby kbs2244 » Sun Jun 29, 2008 8:32 pm

The movie Ishtar was on TV tonight.
Talk about getting away with being politically incorrect because nobody west of the Bosporus knows what you are talking about!
I they ever showed it in Iran there would be nukes on Hollywood within the week.
kbs2244

Postby Ishtar » Sun Jun 29, 2008 10:12 pm

I didn't know there was a movie called Ishtar. I hate to think what Hollywood would have done to her! Was she played by Julia Roberts! :lol: :lol:

PS so you agree with Bush that Iran has a nuclear capability? :cry:
Ishtar

Postby MichelleH » Sun Jun 29, 2008 11:05 pm

Ishtar wrote:I didn't know there was a movie called Ishtar. I hate to think what Hollywood would have done to her! Was she played by Julia Roberts! :lol: :lol:

PS so you agree with Bush that Iran has a nuclear capability? :cry:

Two points:

Ish, please don't waste your time, it is a terrible movie.

Second, Iran does not have the nuclear capability, they have the technology, but not the capability, yet. BUT I can under stand them wanting to because of the proliferation around them. This does not mean I support them, just understand them.

This morning I listened to an interview with Britain's Gordon Brown on GPS where the best case he presented against Iran was that we did not need another country at the nuclear talks table even though they are surrounded by the very countries that sit at that table. I believe the discussion is far deeper than that of our politicians. The problem is not Iran, it is much more global than that.

Okay......once again stepping off the soap box.....now let's get back to topic, sorry for the sidelining.... :oops: :oops:
We've Got Fossils - We win ~ Lewis Black

Red meat, cheese, tobacco, and liquor...it works for me ~ Anthony Bourdain

Atheism is a non-prophet organization.
MichelleH

Postby Ishtar » Mon Jun 30, 2008 1:36 am

MichelleH wrote:
Second, Iran does not have the nuclear capability, they have the technology, but not the capability, yet. BUT I can under stand them wanting to because of the proliferation around them. This does not mean I support them, just understand them.

This morning I listened to an interview with Britain's Gordon Brown on GPS where the best case he presented against Iran was that we did not need another country at the nuclear talks table even though they are surrounded by the very countries that sit at that table. I believe the discussion is far deeper than that of our politicians. The problem is not Iran, it is much more global than that.

Yes, agree. It's a case of 'don't do what I do, do what I say.' :roll:

btw please don't apologise for getting on your soap box. I always enjoy hearing your political opinions as they seem very well informed.
Ishtar

Postby Minimalist » Mon Jun 30, 2008 9:02 am

I worry more about Bush having control of WMDs.
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
Minimalist

Postby Forum Monk » Mon Jun 30, 2008 9:59 am

Mr. Washington,
Could you answer a question for me? I have looked at your post and looked at the website entered as a link. First of all, I find it very commendable that you have managed to track your ancestry to the depths that you claim. I have also attempted this and am stuck somewhere in 17th century Ireland.

In your post about Ishtar you speak of the "white' Semites and in your website, you claim ancestry to Sargon the Great, the Akkadian, presumably a "black" semite. So how is it we have "white" semites and "black" semites?

I apologize in advance if I misunderstood the information you are conveying.
Forum Monk

Postby kbs2244 » Mon Jun 30, 2008 10:11 am

My point was a little obscure I guess Michelle.
What I was trying to say is that nothing would stop them from becoming a nuke power if they saw the movie.
It would be a true motivator.
But, I agree, it is bad.
So bad I have to watch at least some parts of it when ever they show it.
kbs2244

Postby Ishtar » Mon Jun 30, 2008 1:58 pm

War Arrow

What do you think about this?

Le Plongeon believes that the Egyptian myth of Isis had a historical basis among the Mayas of Central America, where this goddess was known as Queen Moo. In Prince Coh the same author finds a correspondence to Osiris, the brother-husband of Isis. Le Plongeon's theory is that Mayan civilization was far more ancient than that of Egypt. After the death of Prince Coh, his widow, Queen Moo, fleeing to escape the wrath of his murderers, sought refuge among the Mayan colonies in Egypt, where she was accepted as their queen and was given the name of Isis.

I don't know what, if anything, Le Plongeon's basing this on, other than Isis's king husband (Osiris) was murdered, and so was Queen Moo's king husband, Coh.

By the way, the 'brother-husband' or 'sister-wife' is one of those commonalities we were discussing, that crops up in just about every mythology.
Ishtar

Postby Forum Monk » Mon Jun 30, 2008 3:44 pm

I think there are clear parallels to the Isis/Osiris myth in other cultures which have as a common element the murder and / or castration of the protaganist's lover / husband and susequent attempt by the female protagonist to restore or carry on the legacy of the victim.

Obviously, throughout all cultures, kings have been murdered but these tales do not necessarioy fit the mould. In the Isis myths and their parallels the female eventually rises to equal or greater status than her husband.
Forum Monk

Postby War Arrow » Sat Jul 05, 2008 5:20 pm

Ishtar wrote:I didn't know there was a movie called Ishtar. I hate to think what Hollywood would have done to her! Was she played by Julia Roberts! :lol: :lol:

There's a Quetzalcoatl film called Q - The Feathered Serpent or somesuch: Quetzalcoatl is actually some prehistoric monster that builds a nest in the Empire State Building, or something like that. Nope. Haven't seen it.

As for Monsieur Le Plongeon (?), it gets a big thumbs down from me. For starters, take a look at those dates. Something fishy there.

Mind you, if someone had the skill and intellect to be able to photoshop a load of photos of Isis and Queen Moo, I absolutely guarantee that I'd be 100% convinced.
War Arrow

Next

Return to Mythology, Ritualisms, Traditions and Folklore