Paleo health verses Neolithic health

The science or study of primitive societies and the nature of man.

Moderators: Minimalist, MichelleH

Paleo health verses Neolithic health

Postby countrcultur » Mon Dec 12, 2011 7:34 pm

Hey guys, I was listening to an introductory archaeology book (thinking about going for a degree in anthro/arch) by Susan foster and she said that Paleolithic hunters were in better health than the Neolithic age people. Does this mean they lived longer? I am curious about native Americans whose lifestyle was comparable to Paleolithic people pre-contact so I am wondering if it is possible that native Americans could have possibly been living longer than Europeans at one tIme.

My interest in this is many fold. But one of the main things is first nations health. The diet went through a rapid change which in a lot of families has only been 2-5 generations. I think if the paleo lifestyle was indeed healthier then it would be an interesting topic to study more.
countrcultur

Re: Paleo health verses Neolithic health

Postby Minimalist » Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:39 am

Charles Mann, in 1491, goes into this question. To generalize, the earliest European explorers found the native americans to be tall and healthy compared to the Europeans. However, that did not translate into resistance to European diseases.
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
Minimalist

Postby kbs2244 » Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:14 am

Very much like hot house flowers.
kbs2244

Postby countrcultur » Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:45 pm

So how about paleos? Any evidence of their lifespans or any health comParisons?
countrcultur

Postby Digit » Tue Dec 13, 2011 4:22 pm

In a dangerous environment health and life span are in no way related.
For instance, in a hunter gatherer society someone with poor health could well avoid the dangers associated with hunting etc.
In my life I've had enough accidents that without decent medical attention I would not have reached my present ripe old age.

Roy.
First people deny a thing, then they belittle it, then they say it was known all along! Von Humboldt
Digit

Postby countrcultur » Wed Dec 14, 2011 7:17 am

Digit wrote:In a dangerous environment health and life span are in no way related.
For instance, in a hunter gatherer society someone with poor health could well avoid the dangers associated with hunting etc.
In my life I've had enough accidents that without decent medical attention I would not have reached my present ripe old age.

Roy.

Absolutely. I imagined that scientists would make the distinction between natural causes and otherwise. Is this not the case? You always hear the life expectancy of people in europe or the near east 200 years ago and so on, do they not have estimates for north America? Or for Europe and the surrounding area Pre-writing?
countrcultur

Postby Digit » Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:02 am

The accidental death toll amongst western nations is too small to influence life expectancy figures but I would suggest that that is not so amongst, for example, HSN populations. Apparently many recovered remains show a high level of bone fractures for example.
Take my case, I'm 71, if we dismiss the fact of my car/motorcycle accidents, getting shot/industrial accident, we are still left with injuries from falling out of a tree, twice, no, not the same tree, falling of a cliff face, nearly drowning, broken collar bone, two broken wrists, being gored by a cow and a stabbing!
All brought about from living pretty wild when I was younger, what age would I have achieved during the stone age I wonder?
See here....

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j& ... 5Q&cad=rja

Roy.
First people deny a thing, then they belittle it, then they say it was known all along! Von Humboldt
Digit

Postby Minimalist » Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:20 am

what age would I have achieved during the stone age I wonder?

Well...there were no cars, motorcycles or guns.

Dig, you were a wild and crazy guy!
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
Minimalist

Postby kbs2244 » Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:42 am

Wild and crazy guys are wild and crazy regardless of the technology available to them.
If we have motorcycle riders today we probably had bull riders before

What we are talking about is the problem with all statistics.
I recently read an article about how the number of war dead for the current Mid-East war was so much less on a per man dispersed that the Vietnam war.
But had nothing to do with fewer causalities on a per man basis.
It was all due to closer, quicker, and better medical care.
We now have a lot more amputees simply because a guy with the same injury would have died 50 years ago.
kbs2244

Postby Digit » Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:48 pm

Dig, you were a wild and crazy guy!

I'm growing old as disgracefully as my old bones will permit Min.

Roy.
Digit

Postby Minimalist » Fri Dec 16, 2011 5:26 pm

My preferred way to die is to be shot by a jealous husband at the age of 90.

-- George Carlin
Minimalist

Postby Digit » Sat Dec 17, 2011 3:56 am

Assuming it hadn't taken him 50 yrs to catch up with you of course! :lol:

Roy.
Digit

Postby JGF » Mon Dec 19, 2011 4:28 pm

Paleos are thought to be your classic hunter gatherers -- mobile lifestyle. With Neolithic you get farming and sedentism. With sedentism you get parasites and other diseases in much higher numbers -- larger groups can keep a virus going, and you have problems with sanitation, water-borne diseases, etc. So Neolithic communities are able to support higher numbers of people because of agriculture than Paleo groups, but generally in worse health conditions. Diet changes also. Paleos have lots of variety in their diet -- roots, nuts, fruits, hunted meat. Early farmers are subsisting on relatively monotonous diets heavy in low nutrition grains. Health & life expectancy definitely deteriorate with the early Neolithic.
JGF

Postby Cognito » Wed Dec 21, 2011 7:19 am

On May 20th I switched to a modified Paleo diet that primarily cut out all grains, dairy products, sugar, and other processed foods, and RELIGIOUSLY (1) walk at least a mile every day, sometimes 3 to 5. The first week I felt like I had the flu as my body adjusted, the first month I had lost 10lbs and now I'm down 30lbs (starting at 237, a 13% reduction in body weight) with no loss in muscle mass. (Roy: that's 108kg to to 94kg) :D

Note to above:

(1) I am a member of the Pediatric Church of the Holy Jockstrap.
Natural selection favors the paranoid
Cognito

Postby Minimalist » Wed Dec 21, 2011 9:22 am

On May 20th I switched to a modified Paleo diet that primarily cut out all grains, dairy products, sugar, and other processed foods,

Where do you find mammoth steaks?

That would be one specialized butcher shop!

-- George Carlin
Minimalist

Next

Return to Anthropology and Primitive Societies