Dmanisi Fossils

The science or study of primitive societies and the nature of man.

Moderators: Minimalist, MichelleH

Dmanisi Fossils

Postby Minimalist » Tue Sep 08, 2009 6:08 pm

http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2009/sep/08/fossils-georgia-dmanisi-early-humans

Early humans may have taken a detour into Eurasia before embarking on their epic journey out of Africa, according to new fossil evidence.

Palaeontologists in Georgia have unearthed remains of five primitive humans that date back to 1.8m years ago, suggesting some of our oldest ancestors lived in the region at the time.

The partial skeletons, which represent the earliest humans discovered outside Africa, challenge the theory that our ancestors evolved entirely on the continent and left the cradle of humanity only 60,000 years ago
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
Minimalist

Re: Dmanisi Fossils

Postby kbs2244 » Wed Sep 09, 2009 10:54 am

Eurasia is not "Out of Africa?"
kbs2244

Postby Minimalist » Wed Sep 09, 2009 11:07 am

Not 1.8 million ybp.

OOA clings to 70,000 ybp.
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
Minimalist

Postby Rokcet Scientist » Wed Sep 09, 2009 11:24 am

Early humans may have taken a detour into Eurasia before embarking on their epic journey out of Africa, according to new fossil evidence.

"May have taken"? If you find human remains there is no maybe! It doesn't get more physical than that!

A "detour"? Wait a minute: so in that scenario they marched all the way to Georgia in 1,8mio BP, didn't like what they found, lost a few of their number (the ones we found), then went back home to Africa dissappointedly, and sat on their fat African asses for 1,7 million years before they tried again with one, massive Cecil B. DeMille type exodus known as Out Of Africa...?

Yeah, right!

LOL!
Rokcet Scientist

Postby Minimalist » Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:42 pm

so in that scenario they marched all the way to Georgia in 1,8mio BP, didn't like what they found, lost a few of their number (the ones we found), then went back home to Africa dissappointedly, and sat on their fat African asses for 1,7 million years before they tried again

You know, R/S....it sounds silly when you put it that way!

:lol:

-- George Carlin
Minimalist

Postby Rokcet Scientist » Wed Sep 09, 2009 5:04 pm

Rokcet Scientist wrote:so in that scenario they marched all the way to Georgia in 1,8mio BP, didn't like what they found

Something scared the bejesus out of them! Must have been the Yeti!

lost a few of their number (the ones we found), then went back home to Africa dissappointedly

Got the hell out of Dodge, more like! Crying for mommy...

and sat on their fat African asses for 1,7 million years

Still shaking and trembling from that Yeti that's what it took them to pick up enough courage

before they tried again with one, massive Cecil B. DeMille type exodus known as Out Of Africa...?
Rokcet Scientist

Postby jw1815 » Thu Sep 10, 2009 11:38 pm

I'm a fan of HE and HN. But, when I first read this, I didn't get the point of all the excitement. We already knew that HE existed around 1.9 million years ago, that he was the first hominin to leave Africa, and that he traveled as far as eastern Asia.

But, now I see that it's the date of the Dmanisi fossils that raises interest. Georgia is closer to Africa than China or Indonesia, where HE fossils are only 800,000 years old. So, it makes sense that HE would have reached Georgia sooner than eastern Asia.

Doesn't this find just push back the date for when HE left Africa?
jw1815

Postby Rokcet Scientist » Fri Sep 11, 2009 1:43 am

jw1815 wrote:Doesn't this find just push back the date for when HE left Africa?

Push back? From what to what then? We already had HE remains from 1,8 mio BP from Dmanisi. So this only confirms that, afaic, it doesn't alter that date.
Rokcet Scientist

Postby Minimalist » Fri Sep 11, 2009 9:55 am

Doesn't this find just push back the date for when HE left Africa?

Again, JW, the OOA crew is not particularly interested in when HE left Africa as they maintain that HSS arose in AFrica and moved, c 70,000ypb, to colonize the whole world.

Now a date of 1.8 mya in Dmanisi would force this fellow to push back his original date of 1.7 mya for HE's exodus from Africa. I'm sure he could work that revision into his calculations, though.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news ... frica.html

-- George Carlin
Minimalist

Postby Rokcet Scientist » Fri Sep 11, 2009 5:14 pm

Trust you to steer the conversation in the direction of fornication again of course!

Fortunately that's a subject I've studied intensely for 40 years now. 8)
Rokcet Scientist

Postby Minimalist » Fri Sep 11, 2009 6:37 pm

What do you get when you finish studying?

-- George Carlin
Minimalist

Postby Rokcet Scientist » Fri Sep 11, 2009 8:28 pm

I'm not planning on ever graduating! 8) I've specialized on co-eds and single moms! So I need to keep my finger in, a.o... :lol:
Rokcet Scientist

Postby jw1815 » Fri Sep 11, 2009 11:18 pm

Again, JW, the OOA crew is not particularly interested in when HE left Africa as they maintain that HSS arose in AFrica and moved, c 70,000ypb, to colonize the whole world.

Yes, I realize that. So the Dminisi fossils don't change anything, do they? So why all the fuss?
jw1815

Return to Anthropology and Primitive Societies