GUNS, Germs, AND STEEL

The science or study of primitive societies and the nature of man.

Moderators: Minimalist, MichelleH

GUNS, Germs, AND STEEL

Postby gunny » Sun May 31, 2009 9:01 am

BY JARED DIAMOND---(PULITZER PRISE WINNER) READ MANY THOUSANDS OF BOOKS---MORE DATA ONE BOOK THAN ALL THE REST
gunny

Postby kbs2244 » Mon Jun 01, 2009 8:55 am

You have been doing some good reading lately.
kbs2244

Postby Minimalist » Mon Jun 01, 2009 10:46 am

Diamond was an ardent "Clovis-Firster." Hurt his credibility in my book.
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
Minimalist

Re: GUNS, Germs, AND STEEL

Postby kbs2244 » Tue Jun 09, 2009 8:41 am

I can agree with that.
But it is really a small detail in a very wide scope book.
kbs2244

Re: GUNS, Germs, AND STEEL

Postby Minimalist » Tue Jun 09, 2009 1:01 pm

There is no question that the domestication of animals has led to death on a world-wide scale from viruses jumping between species. Just another little blot on the agricultural revolution.

Perhaps summed up best in this joke.

WHERE DID THE WHITE MAN GO WRONG

Indian Chief, "Two Eagles," was asked by a white government official, "you have observed the white man for 90 years. you've seen his wars and his technological advances. You've seen his progress, and the damage he's done." The chief nodded in agreement. The official continued, "Considering all these events, in your opinion, where did the white man go wrong?" The chief stared at the government official for over a minute and then calmly replied. "When white man find land, Indians running it. No taxes, No debt, Plenty buffalo, Plenty beaver, Clean water, women did all the work, Medicine man free. Indian man spend all day hunting and fishing; all night having sex." Then the chief leaned back and said. "Only white man think he can improve system like that!"
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
Minimalist

Return to Anthropology and Primitive Societies