Pleistocene Art Pictures

The science or study of primitive societies and the nature of man.

Moderators: Minimalist, MichelleH

Postby Minimalist » Sun Oct 12, 2008 12:45 pm

Didn't think that was possible.
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
Minimalist

Postby Digit » Sun Oct 12, 2008 1:01 pm

Practise make perfect mate!

Roy.
Digit

Egyptian Pleistocene Art

Postby Cognito » Fri Oct 24, 2008 10:17 am

Alright, for all you art lovers, here is an article on Egyptian Pleistocene Artwork dated to about 15,000 years ago:

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news ... twork.html

From the article:

"In the meantime, the finding has raised a big question: How were people in Western Europe and southern Egypt producing almost identical artwork at the same time? While the caves at Lascaux are best known for their painted images of bulls and cows, that artwork is actually outnumbered by stone engravings. And the Lascaux engravings are virtually identical to those in Qurta, Huyge pointed out."
Natural selection favors the paranoid
Cognito

Postby Minimalist » Fri Oct 24, 2008 10:24 am

Wow.

While the caves at Lascaux are best known for their painted images of bulls and cows, that artwork is actually outnumbered by stone engravings.

What about the obvious answer? Stone engravings have much better staying power than painted surfaces?

Any European paintings which were not protected from the elements would have long since been washed away. For all we know, the cavern painting may simply be all that survives?
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
Minimalist

Weathering

Postby Cognito » Fri Oct 24, 2008 10:55 am

I agree Min. The Egyptian carvings were probably painted also, but the carvings are all that remains. The only interesting part of the article appears to be the fact that the artwork from two different areas is similar in design.
Cognito

Postby Digit » Fri Oct 24, 2008 12:04 pm

artwork from two different areas is similar in design.

Well why not Cog? Unless you are into surrealism a Bull is a Bull is a Bull!

Roy.
Digit

Bull

Postby Cognito » Fri Oct 24, 2008 12:36 pm

Unless you are into surrealism a Bull is a Bull is a Bull!

So ... this is just a load of Bull? :D
Cognito

Postby Ishtar » Fri Oct 24, 2008 12:41 pm

They were all very fond of bulls, though, Dig and Cogs.

So why bulls in particular, out of all the other animals to choose from?
Ishtar

Postby Digit » Fri Oct 24, 2008 1:13 pm

We know that later the Bull was sufficiently important to them Ish that they buried them with 'honours', so it's likely that their interest in them would pre-date their ritual burials i should think.
Digit

Bulls

Postby Cognito » Fri Oct 24, 2008 3:36 pm

Because the bull (i.e. auroch) represents virility and regeneration. Why else would an otherwise sane youngster leap the horns of the bull, in a test of manhood, other than to acquire some nookie from the female audience afterwards? :shock:

"Quite a jump, eh? Let's see ... I'll pick you, you and you!" :D
Cognito

Postby Ishtar » Fri Oct 24, 2008 3:38 pm

I know it's much later but around 3000 BC, the Cow of Heaven and the Bull of Heaven were the main godheads in Egypt and all round Mespotamia. This was also the time period for the Vedic Nanda bull.

This led to the horned gods and goddesses of the serpent cult. The earliest of them had serpents entwined around their horns.

So what we could be looking at with these pictures is the seed ground for that eventual religion, possibly?
Ishtar

Re: Bulls

Postby Ishtar » Fri Oct 24, 2008 3:40 pm

Cognito wrote:

Because the bull (i.e. auroch) represents virility and regeneration. Why else would an otherwise sane youngster leap the horns of the bull, in a test of manhood, other than to acquire some nookie from the female audience afterwards? :shock:

"Quite a jump, eh? Let's see ... I'll pick you, you and you!" :D

I was going to say that - that the Bull of Heaven was a sign of potency - but I didn't want another attack from Min for talking too much about sex. :cry:

But the Egyptian Bull of Heaven (who, coincidentally was called Min) had an enormous you know what, and the Victorian Egyptologists were so offended by it, they would try to cut it off.
Ishtar

Postby Digit » Fri Oct 24, 2008 3:42 pm

We like to talk sex with you!
At our age what else is there? :lol:

Roy.
Digit

Postby Ishtar » Fri Oct 24, 2008 3:47 pm

Digit wrote:We like to talk sex with you!
At our age what else is there? :lol:

Roy.

To be honest, I maybe do joke a bit about this, but I've been thinking about it and have come to conclusion that it's a sort of coping mechanism for being the most frequent female poster on a board of mainly males.

I think I make these adult humor jokes to put you guys at your ease, so you feel you can be natural around me and not feel you have to be over-polite or delicate. I think, actually, I try too much to be like a man in that respect, for the same reason. But I don't want to hold up the flow of the discussion by people feeling they have to take care of what they say when I'm around.
Ishtar

Postby Digit » Fri Oct 24, 2008 4:05 pm

I think, actually, I try too much to be like a man in that respect,

Well I sure as hell don't see you as some sort of pseudo male Ish, and for myself, if I ever appear to over step your personal lines then I say now, speak out.
The last thing I would want is to offend, I value your input too much for that!

Roy.
Digit

PreviousNext

Return to Anthropology and Primitive Societies