700,000 yr. old Settlement in Qatar.

The science or study of primitive societies and the nature of man.

Moderators: Minimalist, MichelleH

700,000 yr. old Settlement in Qatar.

Postby Beagle » Mon Jun 23, 2008 2:22 pm

http://www.thepeninsulaqatar.com/Display_news.asp?section=Local_News&subsection=Qatar+News&month=June2008&file=Local_News2008062322518.xml

DOHA • A prehistoric settlement in what is now Qatar may confirm alternative theories on how early humans emigrated from the African continent, a report in a Danish newspaper said.

Danish archaeologists have uncovered a settlement they believe may be over 700,000 years old, making it the oldest organised human community ever found, reported Berlingske Tidende newspaper.

Eight dwellings in the desert region of Qatar indicate that an early human species crossed what is now the Red Sea to leave their origins in Africa, according to the scientists. There is still uncertainty within the scientific community as to which routes early humans used to migrate out of Africa.

The new discovery has only been tentatively dated by the archaeologists, who have estimated the age from types of artefacts found at the site, which include axes and knives.

Other dating tests are necessary to confirm the estimates, but the find can only be carbon-dated with accuracy if organic material, such as bones, are found.

This is an early report from a site in Qater. More news is sure to follow in the future. Hopefully human remains will be found. 8)
Beagle

Postby Minimalist » Mon Jun 23, 2008 4:30 pm

:D

Wouldn't a 700,000 year old "settlement" be the very antithesis of what the Club thinks?
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
Minimalist

Re: 700,000 yr. old Settlement in Qatar.

Postby john » Mon Jun 23, 2008 5:40 pm

Beagle wrote:http://www.thepeninsulaqatar.com/Display_news.asp?section=Local_News&subsection=Qatar+News&month=June2008&file=Local_News2008062322518.xml

DOHA • A prehistoric settlement in what is now Qatar may confirm alternative theories on how early humans emigrated from the African continent, a report in a Danish newspaper said.

Danish archaeologists have uncovered a settlement they believe may be over 700,000 years old, making it the oldest organised human community ever found, reported Berlingske Tidende newspaper.

Eight dwellings in the desert region of Qatar indicate that an early human species crossed what is now the Red Sea to leave their origins in Africa, according to the scientists. There is still uncertainty within the scientific community as to which routes early humans used to migrate out of Africa.

The new discovery has only been tentatively dated by the archaeologists, who have estimated the age from types of artefacts found at the site, which include axes and knives.

Other dating tests are necessary to confirm the estimates, but the find can only be carbon-dated with accuracy if organic material, such as bones, are found.

This is an early report from a site in Qater. More news is sure to follow in the future. Hopefully human remains will be found. 8)

I imagine a chorus of members of Das Klub singing

The following in falsetto similar to that of gelded chipmunks..........

"Because it
Can’t be now
Oh no
Can’t be now
Oh no
Can’t be now
Oh no
Can’t be now
Oh no
Can’t be now
Oh no
Can’t be this loneliness
Baby, surrounding me.
No, no, no it just can’t be.
No it just can’t be
Oh, baby, baby, baby, baby, just can’t be.
No, no, no
No it just can’t be"

(lifted out of context from Janis Joplin to whom I apologize)

Hmmm........

8 dwellings would indicate an organised group effort.

Call it shared group cognition.

The existence of language comes to mind....

8 dwellings would indicate at least a semi-permanent settlement, which,

In turn would indicate that the shared group cognition had also

Figured out that the surrounding resources of the landscape

Would support the band for an indefinite period of time.

8 dwellings would indicate a previously existing methodology for use of

Construction materials and technique, which, in turn

Means that we have a hope of finding earlier, cruder attempts

At settlement building.

Finally, the citizens of said settlement were without a doubt NOT

Homo sap.

And on that I think I'll pour myself a nice fat

Glass of white bordeaux

And sit grinning for awhile.

hoka hey

john
"Man is a marvellous curiosity. When he is at his very, very best he is sort of a low-grade nickel-plated angel; at his worst he is unspeakable, unimaginable; and first and last and all the time he is a sarcasm."

Mark Twain
john

Postby kbs2244 » Mon Jun 23, 2008 7:56 pm

700,000 years old?!?!
I am sorry, but I am going to have to see some real good dateing done to back that up.
It looks like headline grabbing to me.
kbs2244

Postby john » Mon Jun 23, 2008 8:02 pm

kbs2244 wrote:700,000 years old?!?!
I am sorry, but I am going to have to see some real good dateing done to back that up.
It looks like headline grabbing to me.

kbs2244 -

The Danes are a pretty sobersided lot.

This thing has legs; wait and see.

hoka hey

john
"Man is a marvellous curiosity. When he is at his very, very best he is sort of a low-grade nickel-plated angel; at his worst he is unspeakable, unimaginable; and first and last and all the time he is a sarcasm."

Mark Twain
john

Postby kbs2244 » Tue Jun 24, 2008 10:46 am

In agreement on the Danes.
But I wouldn’t put it past the authorities of Qatar to do a little chest beating.
But even if it is half that old it will be worth watching.
kbs2244

Danes

Postby Cognito » Tue Jun 24, 2008 10:59 am

In agreement on the Danes.
But I wouldn’t put it past the authorities of Qatar to do a little chest beating.
But even if it is half that old it will be worth watching.

Yup, totally agree that the Danes are sober-minded.

700kya? Or even 350kya - doesn't matter. This settlment crashes quite a few beliefs. Hopefully, those Danish scientists will eventually be able to determine what type of hominid had the audacity to act like us by erecting eight dwellings. As John stated: eight dwellings require communication (aka language) and thinking ahead (aka cognition). Those people were more like us than many people would like to admit.

And ... I love the fact that this settlement does not fit neatly into the established paradigm. Is it Cool-Aid time yet for OOA? I'll even provide the strychnine free of charge. :D

Natural selection favors the paranoid
Cognito

Postby Digit » Tue Jun 24, 2008 11:49 am

It also suggests a family based culture. If it had been an all male hunting party, for example, I would have expected them to have erected a single dwelling.
Digit

Postby Minimalist » Tue Jun 24, 2008 11:58 am

And there would have been beer bottles in the corner.
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
Minimalist

Postby Minimalist » Tue Jun 24, 2008 11:59 am

Not to mention the HG's would quickly exhaust the food supplies in the area and need to move on.

Perhaps they weren't HGs?

-- George Carlin
Minimalist

Postby Digit » Tue Jun 24, 2008 12:13 pm

Digit

Postby Beagle » Tue Jun 24, 2008 1:01 pm

Good point Digit. The climate was quite warm 700kya and humans were on the move. Java man made it to Java at that time, with his 1,000cc brain. A similar period occurred at about 1.2 million yrs. ago (Dmanasi man).

In every case, when humans stop being H/Gs, they have done so alongside a substantial river, that probably was a reliable food source.
Beagle

Postby Digit » Tue Jun 24, 2008 1:11 pm

Just about the most reliable food source there is Beag, it's supply of fresh water would also attract animals from some distance around.
Digit

Postby Rokcet Scientist » Fri Jun 27, 2008 2:56 am

Minimalist wrote::D

Wouldn't a 700,000 year old "settlement" be the very antithesis of what the Club thinks?

Forget them. Let's logically theorize on what may have happened:

If there was a 700,000 year old settlement in Qatar – which was, then, in a high place, 500 to 600 feet above where most people would have lived, and if it was HE that went out of Africa to conquer the world (as we here assume), then it is probable, imo, that settlement was already a well established place for hundreds of thousands of years! Since it looks to have been the stepping stone, the jump-off point, to Asia and beyond.
Rokcet Scientist

Postby Minimalist » Fri Jun 27, 2008 8:43 am

"Jumping off point" implies some organization, doesn't it? Like St. Louis was for the wagon trains heading to the American West?

I don't know if I'm ready to embrace that, yet.

:D

-- George Carlin
Minimalist

Next

Return to Anthropology and Primitive Societies