Darwin Online

The science or study of primitive societies and the nature of man.

Moderators: Minimalist, MichelleH

Postby Ishtar » Sun Apr 27, 2008 8:37 am

:lol: Quite!

Actually, perhaps we should let Arch be the money holder. He'd be too dumb to steal it - a walking example of the exact antithesis to Intelligent Design. More like Moronic Design! :lol:
Ishtar

Postby Minimalist » Sun Apr 27, 2008 9:28 am

Oh, I can't see Beags going for that. I think he parted company with Arch in the Noah's Ark debate. Now that was one for the ages!
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
Minimalist

Postby Ishtar » Sun Apr 27, 2008 9:35 am

I'd love to have been a party to that debate!

Don't tell me - he didn't really think that the waters covered the whole world to the tops of the mountains, did he? :lol:
Ishtar

Postby Minimalist » Sun Apr 27, 2008 10:06 am

Arch still reads the board....kind of like a little kid with his nose pressed against the window of the candy store...and he has objected to my "defending" his positions since he is not here to speak for himself. I certainly was not "defending" anything he said, merely trying to state what such views were. "Literalist views" are quite indefensible unless you want to accept talking snakes and such.

However, since you asked, I can reply in the affirmative that he does indeed take a literal view of the King James Version...complete with mistranslations and shoddy scholarship as Bart Ehrman has shown. I never asked him if he thought that "god" spoke in "thees and thous." Maybe I should?
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
Minimalist

Postby Ishtar » Sun Apr 27, 2008 11:00 am

Really? He's reading this ... do you think? Blimey.

Hi Arch man ...how're you doing? Sorry about the Moronic Design remark... (oh dear....he'll hate me now....but hey, maybe not.. he probably won't understand it! :lol:)

Anyway, Arch ...the Whore of Babylon tells me that she's really looking forward to the next run in with you on Koreabridge, whenever the mods let you back on again. When's that? Next year? Oh dear..well.. say hi to God for me! :lol:
Ishtar

Postby War Arrow » Mon Apr 28, 2008 9:42 am

Not wanting to cause conflict here, but it's actually in my contract that once every six months I am required to post that, despite obvious reservations about where he was coming from, Arch always seemed a reasonably agreeable sort of chap to me, so here I am again saying it.
War Arrow

Postby MichelleH » Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:24 am

War Arrow wrote:Not wanting to cause conflict here, but it's actually in my contract that once every six months I am required to post that, despite obvious reservations about where he was coming from, Arch always seemed a reasonably agreeable sort of chap to me, so here I am again saying it.

WA, we may need to revise that contract! :lol:
We've Got Fossils - We win ~ Lewis Black

Red meat, cheese, tobacco, and liquor...it works for me ~ Anthony Bourdain

Atheism is a non-prophet organization.
MichelleH

Postby Minimalist » Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:50 am

Arch always seemed a reasonably agreeable sort of chap to me

Ah, W/A...you're such a kidder!

-- George Carlin
Minimalist

Postby Ishtar » Mon Apr 28, 2008 11:10 am

He could be reasonably agreeable....at times, I suppose. But he would never agree with reason.
Ishtar

Postby Minimalist » Mon Apr 28, 2008 11:39 am

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/technology/technology.html?in_article_id=562236&in_page_id=1965

A male orangutan, clinging precariously to overhanging branches, flails the water with a pole, trying desperately to spear a passing fish.

It is the first time one has been seen using a tool to hunt.

The extraordinary image, a world exclusive, was taken in Borneo on the island of Kaja, where apes are rehabilitated into the wild after being rescued from zoos, private homes or even butchers' shops.

Ok, so what do our British cousins think of the Daily Mail? Is this legitimate or a British example of "Elvis Flies UFO to Moon?"

-- George Carlin
Minimalist

Postby Ishtar » Mon Apr 28, 2008 11:45 am

I used to write for the Daily Mail, Min. Their bottom line is: never let the facts get in the way of a good story.
Ishtar

Postby Digit » Mon Apr 28, 2008 11:45 am

Ok, so what do our British cousins think of the Daily Mail? Is this legitimate or a British example of "Elvis Flies UFO to Moon?"

The Daily Mail isn't renowned for its sense of humour Min, so probably genuine.
Digit

Postby Minimalist » Mon Apr 28, 2008 12:13 pm

Their bottom line is: never let the facts get in the way of a good story.

Sounds like FOX News.

-- George Carlin
Minimalist

Postby john » Mon Apr 28, 2008 9:58 pm

All -

My money is on the fact that the gradual is the actual.

And, of course that

"Modern" cognition considerably preceded

The "Gracile" forms of Homo.

Ishtar - I agree with you with Bednarik's wierd remark

About the Shamanic.

Still thinking about it, because

He gives us no clear antecedent.

The missing link is a fiction designed

For book sales and those who

Wish immediate gratification.

Kinda like the Godheads.

hoka hey

john
"Man is a marvellous curiosity. When he is at his very, very best he is sort of a low-grade nickel-plated angel; at his worst he is unspeakable, unimaginable; and first and last and all the time he is a sarcasm."

Mark Twain
john

Postby War Arrow » Tue Apr 29, 2008 7:44 am

If the Daily Mail headline read 'TOP SCIENTIST REVEALS COLOUR OF SKY TO BE BLUE', I'd still have to go outside and look up.
War Arrow

PreviousNext

Return to Anthropology and Primitive Societies