Metal Oar Clips Found In Egyptian Boats

The Old World is a reference to those parts of Earth known to Europeans before the voyages of Christopher Columbus; it includes Europe, Asia and Africa.

Moderators: Minimalist, MichelleH

Metal Oar Clips Found In Egyptian Boats

Postby Minimalist » Wed Aug 31, 2016 1:10 pm

http://www.rawstory.com/2016/08/an-arch ... n-thought/

An archeological discovery shows ancient Egyptian ships were even more advanced than thought

A piece of wood recovered at a dig near the Great Pyramid of Giza shows for the first time that ancient Egyptians used metal in their boats, archaeologists said Wednesday.

Circular and U-shaped metal hooks were found in one of the components of a boat, discovered the same year as Khufu’s “solar boat”, buried near the Great Pyramid.
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
Minimalist

Re: Metal Oar Clips Found In Egyptian Boats

Postby circumspice » Wed Aug 31, 2016 4:17 pm

Oarlocks, I suppose?
LUCEO NON URO
circumspice

Postby Minimalist » Wed Aug 31, 2016 5:16 pm

The U-shaped hooks were used “to place the paddles to prevent friction of wood against wood”, said Sakuji Yoshimura, an Egyptologist from Japan.

So it seems.
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
Minimalist

Postby circumspice » Wed Aug 31, 2016 6:49 pm

I have always wondered why we marvel at something that is useful and/or practical just because it's ancient. Because an object is ancient does that necessarily mean that it must be crude or primitive? Aren't the requirements the same whether ancient or modern? That notion is kind of arrogant isn't it?
LUCEO NON URO
circumspice

Postby Minimalist » Wed Aug 31, 2016 7:09 pm

It does usually seem to work out that way because of the materials used. But humans are inventive and will solve problems that present themselves. I seem to recall a theory in anthropology - which was a long time ago - that suggests that tools built for a specific task will always end up looking more or less alike because their whole purpose is to do a job. An oar is a good example. It can be longer or shorter, made out of any kind of wood, color is irrelevant, etc. but it should always have a wide part to move water and a thin handle for the oarsman to grab.

-- George Carlin
Minimalist

Postby Tiompan » Thu Sep 01, 2016 4:12 am

Minimalist wrote:It does usually seem to work out that way because of the materials used. But humans are inventive and will solve problems that present themselves. I seem to recall a theory in anthropology - which was a long time ago - that suggests that tools built for a specific task will always end up looking more or less alike because their whole purpose is to do a job. An oar is a good example. It can be longer or shorter, made out of any kind of wood, color is irrelevant, etc. but it should always have a wide part to move water and a thin handle for the oarsman to grab.

Sounds like Goldenwieser's “principle of limited possibilities,” .Something the ultra diffuisonists never consider .
Tiompan

Return to Old World