Whoa. What A Great Idea

The Old World is a reference to those parts of Earth known to Europeans before the voyages of Christopher Columbus; it includes Europe, Asia and Africa.

Moderators: Minimalist, MichelleH

Whoa. What A Great Idea

Postby Minimalist » Tue Aug 23, 2016 5:00 pm

I recall checking through James Henry Breasted's translations of Egyptian writings but I think that was dated like 1905. There have been a century of discoveries since then.

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2016...first-time

Ancient Egyptian works to be published together in English for first time

Words of wisdom in a text called The Teaching of Ani remain as true today as in the 16th century BC: “Man perishes; his corpse turns to dust; all his relatives pass away. But writings make him remembered in the mouth of the reader.”
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
Minimalist

Re: Whoa. What A Great Idea

Postby circumspice » Wed Aug 24, 2016 5:38 am

Minimalist wrote:I recall checking through James Henry Breasted's translations of Egyptian writings but I think that was dated like 1905. There have been a century of discoveries since then.

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2016...first-time

Ancient Egyptian works to be published together in English for first time

Words of wisdom in a text called The Teaching of Ani remain as true today as in the 16th century BC: “Man perishes; his corpse turns to dust; all his relatives pass away. But writings make him remembered in the mouth of the reader.”

That's a dead or broken link. I get a 404/not found error message.
"Damn with faint praise, assent with civil leer, and, without sneering, teach the rest to sneer." ~ Alexander Pope
circumspice

Postby Minimalist » Wed Aug 24, 2016 7:49 am

Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
Minimalist

Postby circumspice » Wed Aug 24, 2016 9:23 pm

Minimalist wrote:https://www.theguardian.com/science/2016/aug/23/ancient-egypt-written-works-published-book-english-first-time

Try that.

Ah! Much better. Interesting article. Thanks!
"Damn with faint praise, assent with civil leer, and, without sneering, teach the rest to sneer." ~ Alexander Pope
circumspice

Return to Old World