Contemporary Great Pyramid Document

The Old World is a reference to those parts of Earth known to Europeans before the voyages of Christopher Columbus; it includes Europe, Asia and Africa.

Moderators: Minimalist, MichelleH

Contemporary Great Pyramid Document

Postby circumspice » Fri Jul 29, 2016 5:48 pm

It would be really hard for the fringe group fondly dubbed as pyramidiots to refute a contemporary document concerning the final phases of the construction of the Great Pyramid, maintained by an inspecter named Merer... No ancient aliens... No 15,000 year old sphinx & pyramid complex...

http://www.livescience.com/55439-ancien ... eiled.html

This document, considered to be a logbook, was discovered in 2013 at an ancient Red Sea harbor site called Wadi al Jarf. This article is only a few days old so it's a fairly up-to-date news item.

I wonder if Michele could find a more detailed article or paper on this logbook?
LUCEO NON URO
circumspice

Re: Contemporary Great Pyramid Document

Postby E.P. Grondine » Sat Jul 30, 2016 7:16 am

Those papyri should put an end to a lot of horse manure.

But those idiots will fall back on the Sphinx.
Usually people believe what they want to believe until reality intrudes.
E.P. Grondine

Postby Minimalist » Sat Jul 30, 2016 12:04 pm

I went looking but did not find any kind of peer-review article.

Maybe I'll give it a run through Google Scholar when I get some time.
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
Minimalist

Postby circumspice » Sun Jul 31, 2016 3:26 pm

This article, although nearly a year old, actually gives a little more detail about the nature of the document. I'm frustrated to find so little info about such an important, historic document...

http://www.historyofinformation.com/exp ... hp?id=4008
LUCEO NON URO
circumspice

Postby Minimalist » Sun Jul 31, 2016 7:19 pm

Yup. That seems like a red flag to me, too.
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
Minimalist

Postby circumspice » Sun Jul 31, 2016 8:09 pm

Here's another article I was able to find. It's dated 2013 & has several good, clear photos.

http://www.seeker.com/most-ancient-port ... covery.com
LUCEO NON URO
circumspice

Postby circumspice » Sun Jul 31, 2016 10:32 pm

Yet another longer, more detailed article:

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/a ... 180956619/
LUCEO NON URO
circumspice

Postby Minimalist » Mon Aug 01, 2016 12:37 pm

It could simply be too soon for proper scholarly review. From the photos the thing looks to be in awful shape and proper conservation is a must before anyone starts poking around at it.

Then again, it could also be typical of finds in the ANE where there is, what this article refers to as a "silly season" where all sorts of things are imagined in every find?

http://cojs.org/ur_and_jerusalem_not_me ... -dec_1983/

What has happened with the Ebla tablets is, unfortunately, exactly what happened with several other major textual discoveries of this century, such as the Ugaritic texts, the Dead Sea Scrolls and the Linear B tablets in Mycenaean Greek. In each case there was a period of wild enthusiasm with everyone wanting to get into the act. Claim and counterclaim followed one bizarre reconstruction after another. One classical scholar, convinced that the ancient Greeks could write nothing but great poetry, thought he had discovered the poetic metrical system for the poetry of the Linear B tablets—no mean achievement when one realizes that these tablets are administrative texts connected with the wool industry, the flax industry, coppersmithing and the manufacture of perfumes and unguents.

The point is that there seems to be a period of fantasy, almost a silly season, through which we must pass following every great textual or epigraphical discovery. Scholars share the vanities and insecurities common to all humanity. When asked for their opinion by a reporter from the New York Times, Time magazine or BAR, few can resist. The fact that they know nothing about the subject has never hindered most scholars from contributing to the general confusion.

Let's give them some time to do it right.

-- George Carlin
Minimalist

Postby circumspice » Mon Aug 01, 2016 3:41 pm

*sigh*

I don't want to wait any longer. I've waited 3 years. :|
LUCEO NON URO
circumspice

Postby Minimalist » Mon Aug 01, 2016 7:21 pm

Patience, young Jedi.

-- George Carlin
Minimalist

Postby E.P. Grondine » Mon Aug 08, 2016 9:05 am

I saw one article with amazing pictures, I believe it was in the Daily Mail.
The papyri are on display at the Egyptian Museum.
Perhaps you should try a Google news search.

Aside from that, there was also a documentary on television, either Smithsonian or National Geographic channel.

If you can find either of those, it should give you enough information for a name search on those involved.
There is also the name of the Egyptian foreman.
Usually people believe what they want to believe until reality intrudes.
E.P. Grondine

Postby Minimalist » Mon Aug 08, 2016 10:10 am

Remember this one, E.P.?

http://www.livescience.com/13657-exclus ... fakes.html

Exclusive: Early Christian Lead Codices Now Called Fakes

One of many fakes.

-- George Carlin
Minimalist

Return to Old World