Neanderthals built mysterious cave structures 175,000 years

The Old World is a reference to those parts of Earth known to Europeans before the voyages of Christopher Columbus; it includes Europe, Asia and Africa.

Moderators: Minimalist, MichelleH

Neanderthals built mysterious cave structures 175,000 years

Postby circumspice » Wed May 25, 2016 6:32 pm

LUCEO NON URO
circumspice

Re: Neanderthals built mysterious cave structures 175,000 ye

Postby Minimalist » Thu May 26, 2016 11:57 am

Parts of the walls show clear signs of fire damage, with the stalagmites blackened or reddened and fractured from the heat, leading researchers to suspect that the Neanderthals embedded fireplaces in the structures to illuminate the cave.

But where did the smoke go?
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
Minimalist

Postby kbs2244 » Thu May 26, 2016 2:11 pm

That is a long time ago.
They do not say how they dated them.

Do I smell a hint of headline hunting?
kbs2244

Postby Minimalist » Thu May 26, 2016 5:12 pm

Kb, you have to click on the embedded link which says Nature. The whole report is there. They used uranium-series dating.

400 meters from the entrance I still would like to know where the smoke went. I doubt that HNS built compressors to pump air in. :wink:
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
Minimalist

Postby circumspice » Thu May 26, 2016 7:08 pm

Except for the entrance, most of the cave system is wide open & easily accessible. If you watched the video you can see just how big the rooms in the cave are. Also, they seemed to have indicated that the room where the circular structures are located is not considered a living area. They of course have decided that the behaviors exhibited in the cave to have been ritualistic behavior... :lol: I guess they weren't cooking supper???
LUCEO NON URO
circumspice

Postby Minimalist » Fri May 27, 2016 9:35 am

Ritual. The standard fallback answer for anything we don't understand.

You have to wonder how much time people had for "ritual" when they were constantly looking over their shoulders for a saber-toothed tiger about to bite them on the ass.

-- George Carlin
Minimalist

Postby circumspice » Fri May 27, 2016 10:36 am

Or they were really busy simply trying to get enough food to stave off starvation...
LUCEO NON URO
circumspice

Postby Minimalist » Fri May 27, 2016 10:37 pm

That, too.

I imagine nights were spent clutching their spears around a fire hoping to avoid attacks by predators.

-- George Carlin
Minimalist

Return to Old World