Call it a lost cause

The Old World is a reference to those parts of Earth known to Europeans before the voyages of Christopher Columbus; it includes Europe, Asia and Africa.

Moderators: Minimalist, MichelleH

Re: Call it a lost cause

Postby uniface » Mon Feb 08, 2016 5:11 pm

Thank You !!!

Now see if you can get that across to the "prove it" crowd.

Coming to grips with reality (including the reality of the past) is very squishy stuff. For a working example of what's involved, medicine. Where intuition and pattern recognition can be crucial elements in a successful outcome.

People who can't do that, or want to dismiss anything not quantifiable as irrelevant, should be lab technicians.
uniface
 

Re: Call it a lost cause

Postby uniface » Mon Feb 08, 2016 5:21 pm

"maybe there was a civilsation that had nuclear power 2 million years ago but just because we can't find the evidence doesn't mean it didn't happen "


T, the evidence is in front of your face. In the Vedas. Detailed descriptions of flying craft, atomic bombs and consequent radiation sickness.

It all seemed like childish fiction until 1945. Now the question is how did they come by this information if not by experience ?

Via what Neolithic technology did the Scottish hill forts get vitrified ?
uniface
 

Re: Call it a lost cause

Postby Tiompan » Tue Feb 09, 2016 1:20 am

uniface wrote:Thank You !!!

Now see if you can get that across to the "prove it" crowd.

Coming to grips with reality (including the reality of the past) is very squishy stuff. For a working example of what's involved, medicine. Where intuition and pattern recognition can be crucial elements in a successful outcome.

People who can't do that, or want to dismiss anything not quantifiable as irrelevant, should be lab technicians.



The "prove it " crowd are scientists .That is how it works and why it can never find the "truth" ,only a better working model than the previous one .
You don't rest on your laurels ,accepting what some authority says whether rational or otherwise , but if you can't provide the evidence to support your fantasies , don't expect much sympathy.
Intuition and pattern recognition are used by scientisits and materialists and sportsmen for that matter , all the time , it's part of being good at the job .
Of course many of the important things to us are non -quantifiable and science can't say too much about them , that arena is probably best left to others ,which might well include scientists (wearing another hat ).
Tiompan
 
Posts: 679
Joined: Tue May 11, 2010 5:13 am

Re: Call it a lost cause

Postby Tiompan » Tue Feb 09, 2016 1:32 am

uniface wrote:
"maybe there was a civilsation that had nuclear power 2 million years ago but just because we can't find the evidence doesn't mean it didn't happen "


T, the evidence is in front of your face. In the Vedas. Detailed descriptions of flying craft, atomic bombs and consequent radiation sickness.

It all seemed like childish fiction until 1945. Now the question is how did they come by this information if not by experience ?

Via what Neolithic technology did the Scottish hill forts get vitrified ?


If you believe everything that is written in books or read old scriptures literally then you have a problem .
Oppenhiemer reconised the poetry but the poets wouldn't have had a clue about his knowledge and they certainly never mentioned a scrap of it .
Sci - Fi might get the future right ,but they didn't actually see it or understand the technology .
Vitrification is quite a simple process ,it's not only found in Scotland although that is where most examples have been found .
The real puzzle is whether the process was a result of deliberate firing of the wood by the Iron Age . inhabitants (rather than Neolithic ) for defensive or possibly destrcutive purposes as it doesn't make the defences any more impregnable .
Tiompan
 
Posts: 679
Joined: Tue May 11, 2010 5:13 am

Re: Call it a lost cause

Postby Simon21 » Tue Feb 09, 2016 2:15 am

Which all supposes one can tell accurately what British hillforts actually were for and how they were used, both of which are still fairly open questions.
Simon21
 
Posts: 39
Joined: Fri Jan 03, 2014 4:40 am

Re: Call it a lost cause

Postby Tiompan » Tue Feb 09, 2016 3:43 am

Simon21 wrote:Which all supposes one can tell accurately what British hillforts actually were for and how they were used, both of which are still fairly open questions.


The use is apparent at many of the sites , protected settlement , the term "fort" might not always be the most suitable ,in that some are not situated in the best position for defence in the area .
Tiompan
 
Posts: 679
Joined: Tue May 11, 2010 5:13 am

Re: Call it a lost cause

Postby uniface » Tue Feb 09, 2016 11:55 am

Noting in your evaluation that, when holed up, a supply of water becomes increasingly important after the first day, making a site with a small spring more viable than an otherwise more advantageous location without one.
uniface
 

Re: Call it a lost cause

Postby Tiompan » Tue Feb 09, 2016 12:45 pm

Like later sites water is often accessible in the area ,in the case of a Finavon , it had a well .
What is notable about vitirification is that does nothing to increase the defensibility of the site .
The timber and rock combination would probably be better than the vitrification .
Tiompan
 
Posts: 679
Joined: Tue May 11, 2010 5:13 am

Re: Call it a lost cause

Postby uniface » Tue Feb 09, 2016 1:44 pm

Vitrification was not a deliberate modification. It's evidence of an arial catastrophe nothing could have survived. Similar to the sand fused into glass at atomic test sites.
uniface
 

Re: Call it a lost cause

Postby Tiompan » Tue Feb 09, 2016 2:57 pm

uniface wrote:Vitrification was not a deliberate modification. It's evidence of an arial catastrophe nothing could have survived. Similar to the sand fused into glass at atomic test sites.


There is is no "evidence of an arial catastrophe " ? I'd ask you provide support for that but I know you can't . But I would like to know where you got that info .

Only some of the rocks surrounding the fort were vitrified , it's patchty in extent and nothing like glass at atomic test sites .

It's actually more like a brittle mess rocky mess .
Tiompan
 
Posts: 679
Joined: Tue May 11, 2010 5:13 am

Re: Call it a lost cause

Postby uniface » Tue Feb 09, 2016 6:07 pm

1) There have to be survivors first -- no folk process without folk. :D

2) That said, might you be overlooking Jove's thunderbolts (and Thor's hammer, et al.) ?
uniface
 

Re: Call it a lost cause

Postby uniface » Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:29 pm

You're sure ?

Or, "sure" because the idea we inherited of them was based on a low-tech range of possibilities ?

segue vitrified rock.
uniface
 

Re: Call it a lost cause

Postby Tiompan » Wed Feb 10, 2016 1:08 am

U ,

you didn't say where you got the info from , for the basis of your beliefs about vitrification .
Could you do so , please .
Tiompan
 
Posts: 679
Joined: Tue May 11, 2010 5:13 am

Re: Call it a lost cause

Postby uniface » Wed Feb 10, 2016 9:02 am

Lil : if I recall rightly (increasingly unlikely as I get older), Indra sports thunderbolts like Jove. ("J" being a late sub for "I", IOVE = IAVE. Master of, among other things, fire from the sky. Linguistics are a shell game). While as you point out, this isn't the place for it, the idea that India and Israel were culturally unrelated is pretty easily shown false.

T : gambit declined. Google is (sometimes) your friend. Go for it. :D
uniface
 

Re: Call it a lost cause

Postby Tiompan » Wed Feb 10, 2016 9:50 am

uniface wrote:T : gambit declined. Google is (sometimes) your friend. Go for it. :D



U

It was a request not a gambit . How can I gain any advantage by you tellin me , other than saving time ?
How do I know from the plethora of alt sites ,books and opinions ,all with mislerading info ,was the one you had decided to accept ?
The "mystery" surrounding vitrificaton among the alt "writers" has been around a a long time .
Last edited by Tiompan on Wed Feb 10, 2016 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tiompan
 
Posts: 679
Joined: Tue May 11, 2010 5:13 am

PreviousNext

Return to Old World

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest