Tibetans Partly Denisovan ?

The Old World is a reference to those parts of Earth known to Europeans before the voyages of Christopher Columbus; it includes Europe, Asia and Africa.

Moderators: Minimalist, MichelleH

Tibetans Partly Denisovan ?

Postby uniface » Wed Jul 02, 2014 2:16 pm

Nielsen and his colleagues investigated how Tibetans might have developed their adaptation. Frustratingly, the research team's computer models could not at first explain how Tibetans evolved their pattern of EPAS1 mutations as quickly as they apparently did.

Now, the scientists find Tibetans apparently inherited this pattern of mutations, or haplotype, from a recently discovered extinct lineage of humans known as the Denisovans.

Recent analysis of DNA from Denisovan fossils revealed the ancestors of modern humans apparently interbred with Denisovans, whose genetic footprint extended from Siberia to the Pacific Islands of Oceania. About 0.2 percent of DNA of mainland Asians and Native Americans is Denisovan in origin.

The researchers looked for the Tibetan pattern of EPAS1 mutations in 26 different modern human populations across the world, as well as in Neanderthal and Denisovan genomes. They found only Denisovans possessed this haplotype too, as did a small percentage of Han Chinese. This suggests the ancestors of Tibetans inherited this pattern of mutations either from Denisovans or relatives of Denisovans.

The researchers suggest this pattern of mutations might also exist in other Asian populations adapted to high altitudes. These include the Sherpas of Nepal and certain Mongolian populations. Nielsen and his colleagues detailed their findings in the July 3 issue of the journal Nature.

http://www.sott.net/article/281257-Tibe ... hal-cousin
uniface

Re: Tibetans Partly Denisovan ?

Postby kbs2244 » Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:52 am

Meanwhile...
In the Andes ?????
kbs2244

Postby Minimalist » Thu Jul 03, 2014 3:37 pm

Perhaps, someday, someone will do a study just for you?
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
Minimalist

Postby E.P. Grondine » Fri Jul 04, 2014 8:57 am

For "Denisovian" read "Heidelbergensis variant".
Usually people believe what they want to believe until reality intrudes.
E.P. Grondine

Postby kbs2244 » Fri Jul 04, 2014 10:40 am

Ouch !
kbs2244

Postby hardaker » Sat Jul 05, 2014 4:39 pm

this is awesome. DNA rocks.
Chris Hardaker
The First American: The Suppressed Story of the People Who Discovered the New World [ https://www.amazon.com/First-American-S ... 1564149420 ]
hardaker

Postby Minimalist » Sat Jul 05, 2014 7:55 pm

How many humans could there have been on earth c 40,000 BC? How easy would it have been for small groups to be isolated by rivers or glaciers? What would the resultant inbreeding do to the gene pool in short order?
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
Minimalist

Postby E.P. Grondine » Sun Jul 06, 2014 2:54 pm

Hi min -

It appears that Asteroid and Comet Impact Events are also capable of separating primate populations.
E.P. Grondine

Postby Minimalist » Sun Jul 06, 2014 7:08 pm

I'd think that such a strike would be more likely to blow them to smithereens.

-- George Carlin
Minimalist

Postby E.P. Grondine » Mon Jul 07, 2014 10:52 am

Minimalist wrote:I'd think that such a strike would be more likely to blow them to smithereens.

Hi min -

Not all impacts are of the "dinosaur killer" class. The smaller ones do "blast to smithereens" or drown significant primate populations, thus leading to differentiation.

As is shown by the data from South East Asia, hominids dispersed from Africa fairly early on.

Geologically known and fairly well dated impacts occurred within their range.
E.P. Grondine

Postby Minimalist » Mon Jul 07, 2014 10:07 pm

If you were close enough to Tunguska or Meteor Crater here in Arizona would you really need a dinosaur-killer type asteroid?

And...if you were far enough away...would you even know what happened?

-- George Carlin
Minimalist

Postby E.P. Grondine » Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:40 am

Minimalist wrote:If you were close enough to Tunguska or Meteor Crater here in Arizona would you really need a dinosaur-killer type asteroid?

No

Minimalist wrote:And...if you were far enough away...would you even know what happened?

Yes
E.P. Grondine

Postby Minimalist » Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:37 am

I don't give primitive man that much credit. More likely to blame any observable residual effects on some pissed-off god.

Or, as the saying goes "that which does not kill me means god is pissed about something."

-- George Carlin
Minimalist

Postby uniface » Tue Jul 08, 2014 12:52 pm

Only in the contemptible parody of him necessary for True Believers in the Darwinian Cave Man to continue feeling superior to him on the basis of "modernity."

Belief in God = BAD.
Belief in no God = GOOD.

It's all belief either way, Bro. Dance around it all you want.

THEIR faith = BAD
YOUR faith = GOOD.

OK . . . :roll:

Where have I heard that before ? :lol:
uniface

Postby Minimalist » Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:00 pm

All you need is evidence for your god, uni.

I'm still waiting. I spend much time at Atheistforums.org and there are always some jesus freaks - or even worse, allah-freaks - who drop by insisting that their particular invisible sky daddy is the real one.

The evidence card messes them up every time.

You see, they believe much but they know little.

-- George Carlin
Minimalist

Return to Old World