First Fire

The Old World is a reference to those parts of Earth known to Europeans before the voyages of Christopher Columbus; it includes Europe, Asia and Africa.

Moderators: Minimalist, MichelleH

First Fire

Postby uniface » Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:43 am

Controlled by 300,000 BC

http://www.redorbit.com/news/science/11 ... ce-012814/

The poor Darwinian Cave Man meme is really getting hammered of late :lol:
uniface

Re: First Fire

Postby Minimalist » Thu Jan 30, 2014 1:46 pm

Um...

http://www.livescience.com/19425-earliest-human-fire.html

Ash and charred bone, the earliest known evidence of controlled use of fire, reveal that human ancestors may have used fire a million years ago, a discovery that researchers say will shed light on this major turning point in human evolution.

Scientists analyzed material from Wonderwerk Cave in South Africa, a massive cavern located near the edge of the Kalahari Desert. Previous excavations there had uncovered an extensive record of human occupation.

This was reported nearly 2 years ago.
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
Minimalist

Postby uniface » Thu Jan 30, 2014 5:43 pm

You didn't READ it.

earliest evidence of unequivocal, repeated fire-building over a continuous period

Not just the oldest charcoal in a cave.

To the extent that there's a meaningful difference . . .
uniface

Postby Minimalist » Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:39 pm

Semantics.

Previous excavations there had uncovered an extensive record of human occupation.

I suppose they might have lived there forever and only built a fire on the last day........

I wouldn't bet on it, though.
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
Minimalist

Postby circumspice » Fri Jan 31, 2014 12:55 am

Meme...

Word of the week? :lol:
"Damn with faint praise, assent with civil leer, and, without sneering, teach the rest to sneer." ~ Alexander Pope
circumspice

Postby kbs2244 » Fri Jan 31, 2014 1:10 pm

“ evidence of unequivocal, repeated fire-building over a continuous period”
I don’t see anything supporting that statement.

Does “repeated” mean the fire was let to burn completely out and then re-started on cold ashes?
The begs the question of;

re-started how?
kbs2244

Postby uniface » Fri Jan 31, 2014 7:09 pm

You wont get more out of anything that you put into it -- a lesson that 66 years have taught me, FWIW (if anything).

Repeated : Starting new fires. Here and there. Again and again, as wanted. As opposed to the unlikely but outside possibility of keeping a naturally started one going by feeding it for years. (The "They used fire, opportunistically, but couldn't make it" argument).
uniface

Return to Old World