Confirmation of What We All Knew

The Old World is a reference to those parts of Earth known to Europeans before the voyages of Christopher Columbus; it includes Europe, Asia and Africa.

Moderators: Minimalist, MichelleH

Confirmation of What We All Knew

Postby Minimalist » Wed Dec 04, 2013 9:17 am

http://news.yahoo.com/egypt-39-antiquities-fall-victim-political-chaos-073640237.html

CAIRO (AP) — The home of Egypt's mummies and King Tutankhamun's treasures is trying to make the best out of the worst times of political turmoil. But the Egyptian Museum is taking a hammering on multiple levels, from riots on its doorstep to funding so meager it can't keep up paper clip supplies for its staff.

The museum, a treasure trove of pharaonic antiquities, has long been one of the centerpieces of tourism to Egypt. But the constant instability since the 2011 uprising that toppled autocrat Hosni Mubarak has dried up the industry, slashing a key source of revenue. Moreover, political backbiting and attempts to stop corruption have had a knock-on effect of bringing a de facto ban on sending antiquities on tours to museums abroad, cutting off what was once a major source of funding for the state.
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
Minimalist

Re: Confirmation of What We All Knew

Postby kbs2244 » Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:43 am

Alexandria redux
kbs2244

Postby Minimalist » Fri Dec 06, 2013 2:58 pm

When Zahi Hawass was running around trying to get all those artifacts returned to Egypt I could never stop thinking about what the Taliban did to those two statues of Buddha in Bamiyan. He may have cherished the past but these people have other agendas.
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
Minimalist

Postby circumspice » Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:48 pm

I guess when your children are hungry, your patrimony is worth whatever somebody will pay you for it... Sad...
"Damn with faint praise, assent with civil leer, and, without sneering, teach the rest to sneer." ~ Alexander Pope
circumspice

Postby Minimalist » Sat Dec 07, 2013 9:48 pm

I could buy that if they sold it, Circ.

But blowing it up addresses neither problem.

-- George Carlin
Minimalist

Return to Old World