European giants ?

The Old World is a reference to those parts of Earth known to Europeans before the voyages of Christopher Columbus; it includes Europe, Asia and Africa.

Moderators: Minimalist, MichelleH

European giants ?

Postby kbs2244 » Sun Nov 03, 2013 1:50 pm

From the news page a few days back

http://www.pasthorizonspr.com/index.php ... occupation

Note the comments section.
One calls attention to the first PIC and the meter stick in relation to the skeleton.
The guy would be over 7 feet tall!
kbs2244

Re: European giants ?

Postby Ernie L » Sun Nov 03, 2013 3:41 pm

Are you certain that is a meter stick? I would have no trouble believing that if I had not seen the second picture. The one with the children and dogs. It appears that the human skull to the right in the picture is half the width of the scale stick...?????????
Regards Ernie
Ernie L

Postby circumspice » Sun Nov 03, 2013 11:04 pm

The stick in the adult grave is a half meter/50 centimeter stick. Look at the graduated segments on it... Starting from the left side, there are 4 5cm segments & 3 10cm segments. The stick in the child grave is kind of odd. It looks like it might be 60cm in length. Regardless, the placard seems to be the same size in both graves & gives a sense of scale.
"Damn with faint praise, assent with civil leer, and, without sneering, teach the rest to sneer." ~ Alexander Pope
circumspice

Postby Ernie L » Mon Nov 04, 2013 4:55 am

circumspice wrote:The stick in the adult grave is a half meter/50 centimeter stick. Look at the graduated segments on it... Starting from the left side, there are 4 5cm segments & 3 10cm segments. The stick in the child grave is kind of odd. It looks like it might be 60cm in length. Regardless, the placard seems to be the same size in both graves & gives a sense of scale.

...thank you

FLASH.."European Dwarfs"
Regards Ernie
Ernie L

Postby kbs2244 » Mon Nov 04, 2013 4:51 pm

Why would anyone use a non-standard measuring stick as a reference?
Doesn’t that kind of negate the whole concept?
kbs2244

Postby circumspice » Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:25 am

Correction: I looked at the photo of the child grave again & I believe that the stick is 30cm, the equivalent of 12 inches, 1 foot. However, the easiest way to find out for sure is to simply ask.
"Damn with faint praise, assent with civil leer, and, without sneering, teach the rest to sneer." ~ Alexander Pope
circumspice

Postby circumspice » Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:33 am

kbs2244 wrote:Why would anyone use a non-standard measuring stick as a reference?
Doesn’t that kind of negate the whole concept?

My guess would be: Scale... The burial of dogs & children in a silo is a much smaller area to measure than a single recumbent adult burial. You wouldn't measure an acre with a yard stick any more than you would measure a mile with a micrometer. You choose an appropriate sized measuring apparatus for each site loci.
circumspice

Postby Ernie L » Tue Nov 05, 2013 6:08 am

circumspice wrote:Correction: I looked at the photo of the child grave again & I believe that the stick is 30cm, the equivalent of 12 inches, 1 foot. However, the easiest way to find out for sure is to simply ask.

Yes I see what you mean...they are two different sticks..and the graduations are a different size...close enough in appearance at first glance to be confusing.....good catch
Regards Ernie
Ernie L

Postby kbs2244 » Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:08 pm

"My guess would be: Scale... The burial of dogs & children in a silo is a much smaller area to measure than a single recumbent adult burial. You wouldn't measure an acre with a yard stick any more than you would measure a mile with a micrometer. You choose an appropriate sized measuring apparatus for each site loci."

But the whole concept is to provide a sense of scale.
And it is not mentioned in any of the captions.
At the least it is sloppy work.
kbs2244

Return to Old World