Luwian notes

The Old World is a reference to those parts of Earth known to Europeans before the voyages of Christopher Columbus; it includes Europe, Asia and Africa.

Moderators: Minimalist, MichelleH

Re: Luwian notes

Postby E.P. Grondine » Sat Nov 25, 2017 7:09 pm

Minimalist wrote:However, I do have my own reductionist version.

What Is More Likely?

A) That ‘god’ tapped moses on the shoulder and told him to get his ass back to Egypt to free his chosen people from slavery; “I could do it myself, of course, said ‘god’ in fact, I could kill every motherfucking Egyptian with a thought and let my chosen people live at the only reliable water source in the region but, fuck it. I want you to lead them through the desert to an arid shithole.”
Or,
B) That some time towards the end of the first millennium the people who found themselves living in the aforementioned arid shithole invented a story to explain why they were there.

But, why stop there?

What is More Likely?
A) That ‘god’ having utterly fucked up the first time decided he had to knock up a virgin Palestinian girl so he could have a son who would then mouth a lot of silly platitudes and then get himself killed so that god could forgive mankind for a sin they never committed and after getting killed came back to life and flew up to fucking heaven.”
Or,
B) That a bunch of people took an existing myth and created a supposedly real hero to personify their desires for their godboy?

But – it continues….
A) Having fucked up twice already (some ‘god’ this guy is) decides they he has to pick another schlepper who likes to sleep in caves and fuck 9 year olds and have one of his ‘angels’ tell this illiterate carpet merchant the real scoop which he then wakes up and tells to other people. Eventually some other schmucks write it down and claim that it is completely identical to the verbal version delivered in the cave.
Or,
B) A bunch of fucking nomads with a serious inferiority complex make up a whole pile a shit to justify their rule over an empire which fell into their lap when the Byzantines and Persians ripped each other to shreds.

Yet…even more

A) ‘God’ who by now looks like a first-class fuck up, forgets what he told the last guy about there being no more changes and sends some golden tablets to a 19th century American con man who invents a whole pile of shit about Planet Kolob and cons Mitt The Shitt Romney to run for president.
Or,
B) Joseph Smith was a fucking criminal who conned a shitload of stupid people and was righteously shot by an angry mob.

I submit that in every case, the answer is B

Hi min -

While I do not believe in Zeus, I do agree with Heraclitus that "Thunderbolt Steers All Things",
(except when super-volcanoes erupt).
Usually people believe what they want to believe until reality intrudes.
E.P. Grondine

Postby Minimalist » Sun Nov 26, 2017 4:24 pm

Volcanoes and thunderbolts are real.

Zeus is as fictional as all the rest.
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
Minimalist

Postby E.P. Grondine » Sun Dec 03, 2017 5:58 pm

https://phys.org/news/2012-12-tsunami-l ... bbean.html
http://popular-archaeology.com/issue/fa ... ence-shows

My research question is whether this impact disrupted the Atlantic Conveyor.
And that question is still open.
Last edited by E.P. Grondine on Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
E.P. Grondine

Postby E.P. Grondine » Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:14 am

An interesting overview, with archaeology discussed as an economic factor:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antalya_Province

If I am not mistaken in my readings,
then some Bronze Age site near Karyandas should be of very great interest and importance.
The people managing Turkey's sites have a multitude of sites to choose from for development.
E.P. Grondine

Postby Simon21 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:02 am

My research question is whether this impact disrupted the Atlantic Conveyor.

Unlikely since theAtlantic Conveyor was sunk by Argentinian exocets in 1982 with a loss of 12 of its crew and much of the expeditionary force's mobile equipment
Simon21

Postby circumspice » Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:49 am

Simon21 wrote:My research question is whether this impact disrupted the Atlantic Conveyor.

Unlikely since theAtlantic Conveyor was sunk by Argentinian exocets in 1982 with a loss of 12 of its crew and much of the expeditionary force's mobile equipment

:lol:
"Damn with faint praise, assent with civil leer, and, without sneering, teach the rest to sneer." ~ Alexander Pope
circumspice

Postby E.P. Grondine » Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:30 pm

This Atlantic Conveyor, not that one.

Why the Argentine government though they could irritate a nuclear power is beyond me,
but I will note that the Argentine Navy never deployed in that conflict.
E.P. Grondine

Postby Simon21 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:19 am

One wonders if such an image is meant to be taken seriously. As to the other the Argentinians were in no danger. This being the UK had Thatcher pressed the button nothing would have happened. A pre-recorded apology would have come over the Tannoy giving some limpid excuse before signing off advising some other weapon be used while this one was being repaired.

The wonder was that the fleet actually made it to the Falklands - but that probably had something to do with the fact that some ships were maintained in German dockyards
Simon21

Previous

Return to Old World